Fatal Error Message when trying to run SB 3.5x @ end of Installl

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Graemalkin, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graemalkin

Graemalkin Registered Member

OS = Win 98 SE (version 4.10.2222 A)
    Browser= MS Internet Explorer vers. 6.0.2800.1106 (patched/updated).

I've used Spyware Blaster (both standalone and in conjuntion with Spybot S & D for a few years now) never encountered any problems with it. My last db update for SpywareBlaster was the Dec 4 release which updated normally and the program functioned fine for some days afterwards.

Middle of last week, I wanted to check for updates, but when I clicked my shortcut icon, instead of launching SB, what happened was :

1) My screen went black for a few seconds, then

2) A blue-screen error message: "..fatal exception OE has occured at 0028C003E0C9 in VXD IOS(01) + 00000BED..", with the usual '..application will be terminated / press any key to continue.." message)

3) HIt enter & was back in Desktop; cold rebooted and attempted re-launching SB - same screen & message.

4) Went into WIndows / Setings /add/remove & uninstalled the program

5) Downloaded a fresh SB setup file

6) Cold rebooted

7) Closed all non-essential programs & re-checked this with sysinternals.com's Process Explorer to *really* ensure non-essentials were closed. (They were)

:cool: Started the SB. install which proceeded normally

9) At the very last screen, I opted for the 'Run Spywareblaster' option, 1) and 2) above reoccured in *exactly* the same manner & with the same error message.

Additionally, with both the previously installed SB (3.51) as well as the newly-downloaded reinstall, after pressing "any key to continue" & returning to Dessktop, I opened and ran / used several programs (Microsoft and non-Microsoft alike) immediately after exiting the fatal exception screen, just to see if other programs were affected in any way.

All programs without exception launched normally and performed as usual.
    Ditto for browser operation and download speeds on both Internet & Usenet
    (4 mbps high-speed ADSL connection).

If anybody can tell me how to get this program to run after install (or what's preventng my doing so), I would be one very happy camper.
    Hope someone here can helpl me.
    I really miss my Flash Killer, and other things SB-ish. [​IMG]
    Thanks [​IMG]

BTW, I also ran a MD5 checksum on spywareblastersetup351.exe: 61fec44b7eae6562e1c4803b9ed00e97 (letters changed to lower case to facilitate reading).

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

What you're experiencing is certainly unusual.
    That said, there are a few things you can do to help rule out potential causes.

1.) Download and install the latest Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 run-times from Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-7a9c-43e7-9117-f673077ffb3c&displaylang=en

(This will help ensure that the support files that SpywareBlaster requires to run are the correct versions and aren't corrupted.)

2.) Did you install or update any programs in between the time that SpywareBlaster last ran without issue, and the first time it errored?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. Graemalkin

<snip>
    there are a few things you can do to help rule out potential causes.

1.) Download and install the latest Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 run-times from Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...61-7a9c-43e7-9117-f673077ffb3c&displaylang=en

(This will help ensure that the support files that SpywareBlaster requires to run are the correct versions and aren't corrupted.)

This was done
    After installing the file I cold rebooted & again ran SB's setup only to have precisely the same thing reoccur as previously- same error message window (no variance whatsoever from the previous one(s)).

2.) Did you install or update any programs in between the time that SpywareBlaster last ran without issue, and the first time it errored?

Not that I can recall, except for uninstalling/reinstalling an older Canon S 520 printer (2004 manufacture date).
    My main reason for doing so was that SPOOL32.exe had randomly appearing in Process Explorer's list, at times when there was no reason for it to do so (i.e., after Windows bootup).
    If you can think of anything else that may help solve this, please advise.

Thank you very much for your time
    Graemalkin.

4. javacool

Hi,

There is mention on the Internet of similar bluescreens popping up in relation to printers. It's odd that it's only affecting SpywareBlaster, though.

Would you mind temporarily uninstalling the printer, rebooting, and seeing if the issue resolves itself? I would be very curious to see if this makes a difference or not. (Also, please let me know if the content of the bluescreen changes after you uninstall the printer.)

Thanks in advance! :)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

5. Graemalkin

After printer unistall + cold reboot, there was no change in the error message.

On a possibly related sidenote - when SB installation is launched are there any entries added into the Windows/Installer directory, such as *.msi or Reg keys / values and, if so, what are their names/properties?

This really really has me stymied. There appears to be a "ghost in the machine".
    I'm going to download some other programs to see if this a general install problem or if it's unique to SB only, before taking up any more of your time, I'll notify you as to the outcome.

Cheers & thanks !
    Graemalkin

6. Graemalkin

As per above quote in my last response to you:

I DL'ed, installed and ran:
    - Total Uninstall vers. 4.1.2.174,
    - Bremer Corp's Notespad vers. 8
    and lastly, I did a
    - complete uninstall of Spybot S&D, and reinstall of it (after DL'g a fresh copy of its setup program) including updated files DL, which was run in mid-install

All programs installed and were run without a hitch.
    So, at this juncture, the question begging to be answered is - why is it that only your program fails to execute at the very last screen .. ?? ..

Regards & Happy New Year (JIC you're gone till after N.Y.Day)
    Graemalkin

7. javacool

Hi,

(And Happy New Year to you too! :))

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this problem here - try as I might. At the moment, all I can suggest is to wait for the new version of SpywareBlaster, which I hope to have available soon. Since I can't reproduce this issue, I can't be sure that the new version will fix it - but given the numerous fixes and improvements that have gone into it, there's a good chance it might.

Hopefully we'll have some good news, come the new release. In the meantime, I'll keep trying to reproduce this issue.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Realizing this does not help finding the vxd file that is causing the page fault(0E), have you considered restoring the registry with a backup just before installing the printer ? By now the good registry backup may have been over written, since 98 is set to create a backup the first time you turn the machine on each day.

In any case, if a reg backup(C:\WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP) is dated just prior to the page fault, I would suggest a registry restore.

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry

9. Graemalkin

Greetings

Thanks for your suggestion Bubba, however, with the last RB cabinet file being August 2006 (..!!..you read that correctly) it's not a viable option.
    But a walk up the Start/Run/SFC path disclosed nothing unusual as to files deleted, modified et cetera.

At this point it appears, I'll just have to live without SB till it can install like the rest of the ''local yokels'' in Windows land do.

Thanks to you and your associates for your time and efforts to date
    O a closing note re MS Knowledge Base/TechNet URL's one you may find has a good (if not exhaustive) list of direct links to MS that might save many people from some unnecessary Googling it's at http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/scanreg.htm

Best regards & Happy New Year to you all
    Graemalkin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.