Faster Scandisk or Defrag Programs???

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Prince_Serendip, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Off and on, in my spare time, I've been searching for new programs that do the same jobs as Scandisk or Defrag but at a faster rate. It's like these programs haven't changed in more than ten years. I have a 20 GB HD, not big but it takes Scandisk 150 minutes to do a thorough job. It took the Defrag nearly 5 hours to do it. (This is with everything else turned off.) Surely someone has found a speedier way of getting the job done? Any suggestions or links will be most appreciated. TIA.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

You didn't mention the O/S installed. Anyway, have a look at our downloads page:

www.wilders.org/downloads.htm

and scroll to "fastdefrag" (from memory). A text file with instructions is included.

regards.

paul

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

4. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

http://www.zdnet.com/feeds/cgi/framer/hud0002500/www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/filters/subfilter/0,7212,6001787,00.html

type scandisk in search box and, if that isn't enough, then type defrag in search box and see what you get on results from both. might even try typing scandisk and defrag in search box and go that way. there are many comments on this board that could help you out. thorough scandisk on my system takes about 45 minutes. defrag takes less than 5 minutes. standard scandisk takes about a minute.

5. root

root Registered Member

I use Ontrack System Suite 4.0 for my scandisk type operation. Its defrag is ok, but I prefer Raxco Perfect Disk 2000 ver 5 for defrag. I think it's good up thru XP. I have tried them all including O&O Defrag and Vopt which used to be lightening fast, but is a piece of junk now that gets updated every other day it seems like.

6. controler

controler Guest

Diskeeper is not free but it works very good.
    Has the network and startup defrag capabilities also.
    They have been in the arena for years.
    I was using it on my 60 gig and was plenty fast.
    I always just used the setit and forget option.
    Once you had the disk defraged, it would keep defraging in tiny bits to keep things fast.
    My advice is to try in on a heavily fragmented hard drive
    and you be da judge.

[glow=red,50,300]controler[/glow]

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Wow! Lot's of suggestions, like a salad bar! Paul's suggestion of the fast defragger works great! (although it's now called "newdefrag" in the Wilders Download Listing). It did it in about 35 minutes which is ten times faster than the old one. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    I next tried Disk Checker 2000 for a Scandisk operation. It could not find the last 16,064 sectors on the fixed disk. Also, it did not shut off when it said it was finished and I closed it. Something seriously wrong there. I had all the usual programs turned off but it was using all of the RAM. I could not even shut down, so I had to "pull the plug." I will not use it again. My OS is Win98se, and it's fussy, fussy, fussy, like an old hussy. Perhaps a more positive view would be that this computer has it's own mystic immune system. So I'll keep looking for a faster Scandisk. I have yet to follow up the latest suggestions. I'll keep you posted. Thanks to all for the wise and useful links/suggestions!

8. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi!

The 2 fastest defrag programs are Norton Utilities's Speed Disk and VoptXP from :

http://goldenbow.com/

Try them :)

9. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

We Sim: With all due respect, and I think (based on his post) Controler would vouch for this, in no way can Norton's SpeedDisk even begin to keep up with Diskeeper 7.0. Granted, you pay for it. But for something like that, I have never minded paying what it takes. Executive Software licensed a crippled version to Microsoft for use in XP. You can try the full DK for 30 days free - download it - and as Controller said, "YOU be the judge."
    http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp

John
    Luv2BSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.