Fast and Perfect Security Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tisungho, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tisungho

tisungho Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I have a laptop, but it's a little bit slow (Pentium M 1.5Mhz, 512 RAM). I'm looking for a good security protection but low system resouce usage.
    Now I'm using Look 'n' Stop (Trial) + Nod32 (Trial). They're good for now.

Any more suggestion?

2. cet

cet Registered Member

Hi, I also have got a 6 yrs old P4 1.7 512mb ram.After trying nearly all of the security combinations now I am happy with kerio 2.1.5(free)(I am behind a router) ssm free and antivir pe premium(paid).This is light and I have not been infected for over a year.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A router isn't always handy for a laptop. Look'n'Stop + NOD is an excellent combination. To protect against a zero-day threat, you might also want to add a behavior blocker, such as Cyberhawk.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

If you do happen to take bellgamin's advice on trying Cyberhawk, better make sure you also update the windows installer too. I tried to install the latest version of CyberHawk and it wouldn't install because of that. M$ has a very disturbing and annoying knack for updating basic components like it's .MSI installer without so much as a press release that these security forums need for to inform it's memberships. You then normally only find out after you try to install some new upgraded or new version of a program which uses the .MSI installer.

One of these days i'm gonna settle on a Linux or AppleMac. M$ is so yesterday anymore and keeps getting worse.

5. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Last week's MS Update covered the MSI installer issue, but the v3.1 installer's been out for quite awhile now.
    That said, that laptop has ample power to run Linux; just choose your firewall of choice and away you go. You'll be booting up in about 30 seconds, give or take. Add Firefox and NoScript (FF being included in most distros nowadays anyway) and you'll be smiling. Say bye-bye to viruses and malware headaches. Check out Guarddog firewall while you're at it.
    PCLinuxOS, MEPIS, Kubuntu and Knoppix are all good distros for Windows people to get their feet wet. Enjoy.

6. tisungho

Thanks for your advice guys!
    It seems that LnS + Nod32 is perfect at the moment. Is the combination of LnS and Nod32 good for internet banking or e-commerce?
    By the way, I don't like using Firefox 'cause it's memory hogger. I'm using Opera (Disable Javascript - enable only for particular sites).

7. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

its great combo and works very well.

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Keep L'n'S, get rid of Nod32 and go for Defensewall and Sandboxie.

Zero Day protected to the max, or at least much better protection than any AV can provide.;)

9. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

Out of curiosity, why would you recommend using both those programs at the same time? If that is not what you meant (meaning you meant 'or' instead of 'and') then simply ignore this. Isn't there some level of overlap, at least in terms of the type of security software they are and the purpose they serve? Granted they take different approaches, but is there really a point to running something as untrusted in DW and running it in sandboxie? I've yet to try this so I am not even sure it is doable, or effective in any way.

10. coolbluewater

That *may* work - but if you're insisting on going with a Windows solution, plan on using FF + NoScript (which Opera doesn't provide) and adding Firekeeper or Proximitron. Otherwise you'll be open to XSS infected sites as well as your browser being own3d.
    Running FF + NS on Linux you won't realize the memory-hogging slowdown associated with Windows services and drivers running for the OS and all your securirty apps, so the trade-off is more than worth it IMO.
    You can easily download and burn an .iso of each distro and run it Live from the CD until you see which one you find most useful, then just do a dual-boot install. Keep in mind that everything will be slower running from the Live CD, but at least you'll be able to see which distro plays best with your hardware out of the box.
    Plus it's all free, minus the cost of your burning media. ;)

11. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Keep your firewall, add antivir or AOL AVS for your AV, add Sandboxie. That would be light on resources and solid.

Or you could go with Cyberhawk while it is still free if you wasnt a free HIPS.

Online Armor V2 plus a free AV like Antivir or AOL AVG would be a solid combo as well, keeping you to one paid application.

You could install Rollback RX on a clean system, make an immediate restore point, and simply restore back to that point daily while updating to your current application data and that would be good too. It wouldn't prevent you from getting infected, but would clean up all infections daily and keep your PC running smoothly.

There are many great combinations and strategies.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think ur statement is too rigid.
    There are inumerable users without FF, NoScript, FireKeepr( last I know it was alpha, not sure now. If it is still alpha u really should not even recommend it without warning)/ Proximatron and still their browsers are not owned.

13. coolbluewater

I also see alot of cars with nearly-bald tires and boats without life jackets or PFDs.

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Great firewall, great AV. Now you must think what you need to protect from. A member here, Rich (Rmus) says this:

1- LookNStop

2 and 3 can be blocked by an anti-executable, or something that intercepts new executables.
    There is Anti-Executable by Faronics;
    a horde of HIPS software, one of them has a freeware version that can be password protected - SSM;
    Prevx2 that not only alerts you of that, it analyses the behavior of an executable (that you choose to run) and block bad behavior, or clean it if later considered bad (revised by a comunity database), thus completing your AV.

4- is you first (how to avoid malware), then the AV if it knows the malware and whatever you have next to it. Remember, once you run malware, you're already in battle. Learn where to download, what to download etc.
    If you have doubts regarding a program, ask here for instance. Maybe someone knows if it's good or bad.

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

tisungho,
    Don't forget Image Backup to get back in business after a disk crash or any other disaster, whatever the reason may be.
    "Perfect Security Protection" is too strong, that doesn't exist.

16. tisungho

What is the HIPS? :D
    How do u think if I use one internet security like KIS or Norton IS in stead of installing seperated ones like Nod32 + a Firewall + blah blah blah...

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If you don't know, it's probably to not try lol. HIPS stands for Host Intrusion Prevention System. It's way too complicated past the execution interception, at least to explain it. It alerts to lots of behaviors from programs, and asks for decisions (allow, deny, remember the answer, etc.).

I'm trying to write a post to approach a security strategy, getting all the good quotes from knowledgeable people around here. But the first thing i wrote is what ErikAlbert is saying.

First research on backup, and the best possible is imaging software. Start there. Use it with an external Hard Drive, and you'll be prepared to recover from the worst, software or hardware. With imaging, you can recover your windows as you left it (when making an image).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.