Faronics Deepfreeze and Anti-Executable...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Killtek, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

Do you guys recommend Anti-Executable as another layer of protection?

Also, as I was browsing around in Faronics's website I noticed another product by them, Deepfreeze. Is Deepfreeze the same as Rollback Rx? And if so what are the pros and cons between the two?

I'm in a mood to purchase another security product.. call it an addiction.

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I personally do not recommend Faronics Anti Executable. The new version, version 3 is not compatible with Firefox 3. Faronics has been aware of this issue for close to a month, and has yet to issue a new version. As far as version 2 is concerned, it is not compatible with Superantispyware. It also has been crashing for me. Other members may have more success, but I'm currently not happy with either version.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i tried to tried this software and my computer give kind of blue screen and i have to unistall it in safe mode.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I dunno fellows, i have had excellent luck with earlier versions of both DEEP FREEZE & AE v.2 and have no regrets not updating either of them to chance encountering the problems i keep reading other customers are experiencing.

From experience:
    I have found (consistently) earlier versions of many commercial security products infinitely more stable then after they tinger with it to release new versions that always seem to cause an issue. Why is that? I have no idea, but i do have enough forethought to apply the priniciple, if it works, don't take a chance on something that may not just because the claims are enticing.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it is a worthy motto.

This still rings true, not for all products, but definitely for most of them IMHO.

EASTER

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know i heard good thing about anti-executable and it has a whitelist.
    i am not giving up i will keep trying to see if i have any luck.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

is the licence of anti-executable life time?

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have AntiExecutable on my XP machine (the old version) as the only real security application: It denies by default any execution that is not whitelisted. It works very well, and reliably, but some people find fastidious to open up AE's console, disable the program to allow the execution of a new program. Furthermore the new version won't even install on my Vista machine. Try it and see how it behaves on your system. Their support is one the best IMO.

DeepFreeze will create a virtual volume in its shadowed/frozen state which is completely deleted on the next reboot, no possibility to write anything to disk while frozen. I'm very happy with it on my Vista system. Rollback uses multiplesnapshot technology to roll back your system to a previous state. Apparently it's great when it works, some people have experienced some serious problems, and others are very happy with it. Best thing would be to try it, and to search the forum for relevant threads.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You are entitled to free upgrades for 1 year from the day of purchase, but keep in mind the program doesn't need updates like antivirus programs, and the upgrade is usually to keep up with new developments with other programs. I'm entitled to an upgrade on my XP machine, but I don't think I will.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I found one little quirk that is really of no concern and not an issue whatsoever to AE's capabilities, but if anyone uses the app RESTORATION which is a vacant cluster cleaner on already deleted files, you will find a super-tremendous amount of AE's .fzx files in it's deleted list.

Now that begs to question (for me anyway) why does AE produce so many of these random numbered deleted .fzx files. The timestamps indicate it produces them at an ongoing non-stop rate, and like i said although of no consequence to the functionality of AE itself, i'm very curious to this find.

EASTER

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Deepfreeze and rollback are similar in that they allow you to revert all changes upon reboot. DF is pretty strict in that it reverts all changes every single reboot. If you want to save changes you have to boot with DF disabled make the changes then enable DF and reboot again. Rollback is a bit more convenient and offers more advanced features. You can save changes on the fly by creating a snapshot which only takes around 5 secs and you can do this any number of times in the same session. You can easily revert back and forth between the snapshots you have made by simply rebooting. Its good if you like to test different software or use different system configurations.

However RB is more expensive due to the extra features it offers so you have to ask yourself what solution you really need. DF is great if you just want a simple system restore program or else use rollback if you want something more advanced.

I actually use both products on different systems. I use rollback on my system which i use for trying out new programs, tweaks, configs etc...However on my personal laptop nothing much changes so i use Faronics AE combined with DF to lock it down and keep it safe.

11. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I am interested if people are running Anti-Executable (either version) successfully with Firefox version 3.

Thanks.

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Deep Freeze you can retain your personal Data using the mapping tool while maintaining a frozen state.I had used deepfreeze for the both on XP and Vista it worked great Not one issue for me.However AE gave me a BSOD on vista, I think it is still buggy and I never got a chance to experience it.IMO Deepfreeze is very stable and I can not say the same about AE new version.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@djohn

Can you briefly explain exactly how to use this mapping tool or even some screenshots? I have excellent success with DF but that mapping tool just shows me a list of my partitions and i don't dare try to use it untill i get a better understanding how to use it.

Thanks

EASTER

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it seems to me that anti-executable may be the end of viruses.i hope i dont get in trouble for saying this.:D

15. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

AE doesn't catch script malware.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so anti-executable plus scriptdefender may help or ff with nocript:D

17. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Honestly easter I have not used Deepfreeze after the trial period ended some months ago.When I did use deepfreeze I never used the mapping because I really did not know What I was doing.All changes I made was In Unforozen Mode.Perhaps some others can chime in How to use this feature.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I agree. The user guide, at least for me, doesn't do much in assisting exactly (by example if nothing else) how best to utilize it, and since it shows all partitions it bothers me since one slight misuse or mistake could cause an unwanted problem.

Perhaps i'll approach Faronic's again about how to use it but the last time didn't offer me much in the way of how to apply it safely without messing up the other partitions.

Then again, maybe i'll just leave the system DF static and forget it altogether, taking the safest course of action on an app that's not very user-friendly IMO. The same can't be said however for AE or DF, they both are dependable, reliable, and perfectly stable for my unit.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.