Faronics data igloo

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by buckslayr, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

I'm hoping someone can explain in simple terms how to use data igloo along with deepfreeze i get order to save data to certain folders after re-boot. I read thru the 44emails oage manual and to be honest I was more confused than when I started.

2. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

Data Igloo uses the simple "mklink" command from Windows to create Folder links on thawed partitions. It's actually quiet simple to use and specifically made to save files to a thawed Partition that normally would be saved to the frozen Partition without you knowing. A good example would be your E-Mail Client that Downloads your E-Mails automatically and stores them to C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Opera\mail\....So in that case you just have browse to the source Folder in data igloo and Redirect it to your desired Partition and Folder. Your e-mails will stay after a reboot and won't be downloaded again. Another example of using Data Igloo would be to Forward save files from several games to a thawed space that normally would be saved to C:\Users\Yourname\MyGames\ or \MyDocuments\...

Files that are stored on the frozen Partition without you knowing by several programs can be forwarded by DataIgoo easily.

3. buckslayr

Thanks for the detailed repsonse:thumb: If I understand correctly.....Say my kids do schoolwork and would normally save to C:\MyDociments\....If I set the target folder on data igloo to C:\MyDociments\ will my documents survive re-boot?

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Exactly. It's similar to the exclude feature in Shadowdefender. So yes the documents will survive reboot.

5. buckslayr

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong here. The issue that I have with Faronic's Data Igloo is that you must leave another drive somewhere unprotected in order to save your documents. With ShadowDefender if I remember this correctly, been a while since I used it, you can have ALL of your drives still protected but if you want to save some documents then you can "push" them through the protection onto a drive.

With Faronic's you have to constantly leave something unprotected somewhere, isn't that the way Data Igloo works?

Sorry if I posted incorrect information,
    Acadia

7. Arcanez

that's correct Acadia. You Need an unprotected/thawed drive to Keep changes after a reboot. Deepfreeze doesn't have a commit Feature like Shadow Defender that's why it's still so popular...

8. buckslayr

I'm still confused. Thought that's what data igloo did? Allows you to save folders on the frozen drive.

9. Arcanez

no, data igloo just Redirects to an unprotected harddrive. It doesn't save anything to a frozen drive. Like I said you can achieve the same results by using the "mklink" command from Windows.

As another example: If you write a document and save it to your user Directory in C:\Users\My Documents\ the document will be deleted on reboot because of deepfreeze.

Now if you Redirect C:\Users\My Documents to a different unprotected Partition the document will survive a reboot.

Now you might argue that you could simply save the document to the unprotected partiton in the first place and you're correct.

Data Igloo is meant to Keep files that are not saved by you intenionally. Files that are not saved by you personally could be your emails that are downloaded by your email program or save files from games. You can Redirect them automatically by Data Igloo...

I hope you get the Intention of DataIgloo now...:cool:

10. buckslayr

Ok. Got it now. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.