Faronics AE 5 causes Windows to hang

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I gave Faronics AE 5 a try yesterday on my Core i7 3.2 Ghz, 8 GBS DDR3 RAM, 10,000 RPM WD Velociraptor Windows 7X64 Ultimate. It took quite a while for the installation to complete. Probably around 20 minutes by the time it finished building it's whitelist. I looked at the task manager after the installation was complete, and FAE was using about 130 mbs of memory between two processes. I didn't look to see if FAE had any more processes than the 2 in the task manager. I was impressed about the first 20-30 minutes of using it. It was very non invasive, and did not prompt me for anything. I did not notice any performance hit on my machine. After about 30 minutes I decided to enable monitoring of .dll files. Momentarily after enabling this option I began to see a noticeable slow down of my machine. The longer I used it the more noticeable the slow down became. I tried using Comodo Kill Switch from the userspace, and Window hang immediately. I waited for about 20 minutes, and Windows still was not responding. Alt-Ctrl-Delete did not work. I end up having to do a hard shut down. After rebooting I tried Comodo Kill Switch again, and Windows immediately hang again. I had to do another hard shut down. I'm assuming this was caused by monitoring .dll files. I tried using FAE for about 30 more minutes, but I was getting random instances of Windows freezing. I can only assume FAE would have performed ok if I had not enabled monitoring of .dll files, but I did not give it a try. I went ahead, and rolled back my machine. It seems they have a serious problem with monitoring .dll files. Has anyone else experienced this? I had experienced this the last time I used Faronics AE about 4 years ago.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

yeah I had the same issue. It took forever to monitor all the .dll. I believe I had to enable it and then come back in the morning. The last time I used it was about 2 years ago. Other than the .dll issue it worked rather well. Just didn't like the need for the igloo to retrieve things from the deep freeze.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I gave up on it a long time ago. Too many conflicts. Also for all my computers, it caused my wallet to hang. Better alternative here on the forum.

Pete

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here when activate the dll and jar monitoring it will pop up party a lot :)

5. Cutting_Edgetech

I was running it on a pretty powerful desktop, but it still caused Windows to hang once I enabled .dll monitoring.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here I have 8 gigabits of memory ram in my destop with 4 quad and still made to croll :) it cripple the pc so bad that I will prefer to get infected with cryto malware instead :)

7. Cabville

Cabville Registered Member

I have never used it on a regular basis, but I did test Anti-Executable trial pretty extensively on a couple different systems in preparation for a possible future deployment.

My testing suggests that DLL monitoring sometimes conflicts with other security software, causing the often reported slowdown. Usually programs that are also monitoring DLL's. The problem was manageable. Either shut down DLL or tune exclusions in both programs.

Remember, the problem isn't always AE. If your anti-malware isn't set to exclude AE, it can scan the AE/DLL interaction. In that scenario, AE gets the blame when another program is at fault.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

I will try Faronics AE soon by itself, and report back.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you try dll monitoring just becarefull it will make the system beg for mercy:)

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I just finished installing Faronics AE. I enabled Monitor DLL Execution. I left NOD 32 AV only installed. The HIPS in NOD 32 is completely disabled. The last time I tried Faronics AE I used it with NOD 32 AV only (HIPS disabled), and Appguard. I don't have Appguard installed this time.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, after trying FAE for the past 20 minutes i'm seeing a slight slow down in responsiveness. I tried using Comodo Kill Switch again, and Windows immediately hang. The mouse pointer will not even move. Alt-Ctrl-Delete does not respond either. I had to do a hard shutdown. I would like FAE if it would actually work, but I have tried it so many times in the past to only be let down each time. I will contact Faronics support to see if they can identify the problem. It most definitely appears to be a bug.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or imcompability with nod32o_Otry it just alone and it works just fine :)

13. Cutting_Edgetech

I just tried it without NOD 32. I had the same result. The system hangs as soon as I try to use Comodo KillSwitch. I had to do another hard shutdown. It is AE's Monitor DLL Execution causing this. If I disable Monitor DLL Execution I can use Comodo KillSwitch. The bug is in the Monitor DLL Execution module. Also, I believe each time I had to do a hard shutdown AE's whitelist became corrupted because after rebooting AE prompted me to allow, or deny several different executables at startup. AE did not prompt me at all about these executables until after I had to do a hard shutdown.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is a bug they never fix :)

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, I read a few posts this year saying their license subscription is expensive. I don't remember what they said it cost.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

the thing is that they don't even reply to emails they take for ever
    Shopping Cart
    Product Qty* Remove Price Total
    Anti-Executable Standard for Windows with 1 Year Maintenance Package
    $45.00 $45.00

*After you change any quantities, be sure to click the "Update Cart" button.
    Sub Total $45.00
    Coupon -$0.00

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, so for me that's $180 and it is a renewable subscription. Can't begin to justify it compared to NVT's ERP.

Pete

18. noway

noway Registered Member

I feel your pain, even for 3 PCs so never tried recent versions of this.

I don't use any "subscription" software. If I wanted to take out a subscription I would subscribe to a girly magazine. Even the most decrepit of those would still work after my subscription ran out.

19. Cutting_Edgetech

It would cost me $270 a year then. I can't afford that right now. I will just report the bug. It's a critical bug so they should want to fix it.

20. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

You can only get subscription licenses on the faroncis Website however there are subvendors where you can purchase perpetual licenses as well. I think Faronics focusses more on Business customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.