Far too many new Arrivals

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It seems that you only have to turn your back for a second and WHAM! :ninja: Up pops another Anti-virus competitor on the Market. What the Hell is going on?. What astounds me more is the masses of people who get excited at the least squeak of a New product raising it's head, and the mass squabble to be the first to try it out. Shear Madness!! Can't anyone be content in being satisfied with one and sticking with it?? Probably not! but more fool them.... One things for sure! I certainly wouldn't want to be the owner of a Machine that's had more installs and uninstalls than a dogs had breakfast. Lets get realistic shall we people :blink: Just because a company releases a so called NEW!!! Antivirus that they claim is....lighter/ faster/ stronger in protection/ detection ...Yada yada yada...:gack: does NOT! mean that it is! In all likelihood no better at all!. The only thing your doing here is wasting your money, and inevitably causing more problems than it's worth to your Computer. Just as curiosity, how many of you can say honestly that you haven't changed your AV in the last 3 or more years?? o_O

2. Security software is big business, people want to get in on the action for that sweet dollar. It's all the same garbage, just a pretty GUI with a different vendors database. Honestly, it's one big bag of bullsh*t because they all fail someway or another. Some are also so full of sh*t it's not funny, saying product a) will protect against MiTM attacks and has safe banking virtualization crap in them.

Whatever man, the amount of false information that flows from the AV industry is huge.

3. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I agree that's why I don't trust new antiviruses such as Kingsoft, Roboscan, etc... I would much rather stick with AVG, AVAST or similar that has been around for awhile and are probably going to stay around. There are exceptions thou. I currently use Fortinet Antivirus, but the company has been around for awhile and so was their product in the enterprise. Yeah for me the company reputation and how long it has been around is more important than anything else.

4. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

FYI:
    Kingsoft was founded in 1988.
    ESTsoft (Alyac / Roboscan) was founded in 1992.
    Fortinet was founded in 2000.

Maybe you have a distaste for eastern companies :cautious:

Personally I'd stick with something simple, classic and non-intrusive like Roboscan combined with my own setup rather than the shiny metro-looking AVG and avast!

Don't get me wrong I used to recommend AVG 7.5 and avast! 4.8 to every person I know, till the new versions came out (which was promising at first) and I started receiving their feedbacks about weird toolbars that kept them from access Google's search engine (AVG) or confusing notifications like "yoh just a personal reminder that you need to register your FREE antivirus or else it will expire" (avast!'s logic).

More solutions = more choices for the users. If people are smart enough to try out new antiviruses from time to time they will know how to keep their computer running as maximum performance.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

What we need is more good free firewalls being created instead of being bombarded with several new anti virus software.:cautious:

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Most people are behind routers now, which made firewalls less important.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well I haven't changed. Anyway competition is good for the users pocketbook.

8. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I'm more concerned with the arrival of new malware every millisecond.

9. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I for one am liking the free antiviruses that use well-known engines and sometimes are better, in terms of performance at least, than the original product (e.g. Roboscan, Baidu, Zone Alarm etc.)

10. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I am a Cactus, I require no Anti-Virus software.

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

AV has pretty much failed, and demand for security has been growing rapidly. A lot of startups are popping up to try to meet the demand.

12. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well the large AV companies will certainly disagree with you on that one.AV,s will always be a player in security and this is the accepted standard.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I only ask because i'm curious......in doing what? :)

14. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

+1 explain yourself

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I basically have always used ESET, I do own F Secure and only use it as a fail safe check to see if by chance ESET misses something. I am pretty safe surfing but no one is perfect...personally I agree it is getting tiresome seeing endless new this & just improved that. AV's can only block so much just pick one and surf safe as one can...

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

True but when you have something to sell you can't say "We suck, but give us money anyway". Marketing departments tend to oversell anything. I have to settle down the one where I work every once in a while as they will set false expectations otherwise. :doubt:

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I haven't changed either for many years.
    AV has failed? Certainly not as a business model: Kasperski's revenue in 2012 is almost 1 Billion $, Symantec 2-3 billion $... These figures certainly motivate a lot of startup companies to try to find a niche market which could be quite profitable.

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

th_1sm111iknow1.gif Me over here,I can. Of course when one does not use an AV in the last 3 years or more it's kinda hard to change one I guess. :D

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

well i test out various ones but i have been using both avast and eset for more than 3 years...

20. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

He does explain some, in his own blog:

http://www.insanitybit.com/2013/02/18/the-antivirus-era/

I agree that it can't be relied upon anymore. The problem is, and I'm sure the Wilders crowd will disagree (but will remind them that their world is pathetically miniscule and what they think is easy doesn't matter, as the rest of the world lives outside of their leet clubhouse), that there aren't any really simple, "friendly" alternatives out there. Comodo? Please. Anti-Executables? They don't quite cut it and frankly can get in the way. Sandboxes? Yes and no. They're easy to deal with usually, but they aren't foolproof and I've often found them to leave behind things that should have been destroyed upon reboot/closing the sandbox. What if malware were to stick around?

As to all these AVs popping up, it's very simple really. Fear, and making money off of it. Even the most legit of the legit corporations like Symantec, Avast, Kaspersky make their cash off of media hype and scared consumers. The entire security industry does. So of course you're going to get other "basement labs" and startups cooking up their own software and trying to cash in.

21. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Just stick to the old well-known vendors, whichever you trust most.

It is my humble advice.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am also in the club of people who haven't changed as I also use neither AV or AS period.

23. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

As a business security is, in general, quite large. AV has attempted to meet the demand, and as it's really the only fair game in town, it's pulled in billions. But there's still massively rising demand.

Like Mman79 posted, my opinions on it are in that blog post. The short version is that detection is never going to be the core of a product that works well. All of these new up and comers are so obsessed with showing that they can block the exploits of today/ yesterday - but how would they stand up if they were at the top of the market? Not well, most 'niche' AV alternatives aren't great. The rest are fairly generic, and offer nothing new or of interest other than the occasional gimmick.

There are tools, like EMET, that are good. But they require a set up, and they're only managing a very specific area of security. There is no 'suite' or single product that manages to protect a system adequately against any attack that considers it.

Developing an attack against a system with an AV is as simple as having the AV not recognize your malware. Developing attack against a system running EMET means redeveloping your exploit to include some kind of address disclosure, or change your ROP chain, etc. One of them is going to require a lot more work.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  24. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

I wonder who is going to fire the first shot in the patent war in the security industry. That should hopefully trim the field and get rid of all the copy-cats.

25. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Wrong,AV compaines are trying their level best to keep up and its not that they are failing they are doing good...

As mentioned earlier,just having a HIPS or a behaviour blocker isnt enough you need to have a good AV to keep the balance between automated detections and user dependence. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.