False Positive

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by registered, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. registered

registered Registered Member

Been using ESET for a couple of years now. no probs. Six months ago included in some easeus.com software that I purchased from them is anti malware program called IObit Malware Fighter (http://www.iobit.com/malware-fighter-pro.html).

I never installed it--it just sits in a folder. Anyway, the past couple of weeks nod32 keeps flagging the package as an infiltration describing it as:

C:\EaseusSoftware\imf-setup.exe » INNO » {tmp}\v9iob.exe - a variant of Win32/ELEX potentially unwanted application

I would think nod32 would have tossed this flag six months ago and not now.

Can I get an expert opinion on this?

Thanks

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It sounds like you have enabled detection of Potentially Unwanted Applications in your copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus, which is the classification given to programs which are not malicious per se like a computer virus or a worm, but may perform some sorts of operations which a computer operator may or may not want to occur on their system. Because of this, ESET makes no determination about whether customers want this feature and instead allows them to make the decision themselves at installation time [or change it anytime after the software has been installed].

For more information, please see the following ESET Knowledgebase Articles

EKB #2198, "How do I configure my Windows ESET security product to detect or ignore unwanted or unsafe applications? (4.x) "
    EKB #2912, "How do I configure my Windows ESET security product to detect or ignore unwanted or unsafe applications? (5.x) "
    EKB #2929, "What is a potentially unwanted application?"
    EKB #3102, "Enable/disable detection of potentially unwanted applications (PUAs) in ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus (6.x)"

For additional information about what Potentially Unwanted Applications, please see the following white paper: Problematic, Unloved and Argumentative: What is a potentially unwanted application (PUA)? [PDF]

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.