False file name for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Dec 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I have problems of late and one is that under START/PROGRAMS i am showing a BOClean folder/uninstall...............if i open the uninstall folder what opens is Windows...........i would like to get Windows and this bogus BOClean folder off the Start Menu without wiping out Windows...............also i can not upgrade to the new BOClean as it may see the folder and zap it with Windows going along for the ride so i will need to move the name BOClean.......any ideas?

2. Rainwalker

Thinking i should post this in another section as few are seeing it here and i do need an answer........

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If all you are wanting to do is remove the entry from the start/programs list, when highlighted simply right click and select delete.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. Rainwalker

but, as i said, the folder named BOClean contains Windows.......this is the problem..

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

I take that is not where your Windows directory really is?
    Removing an entry from the start/programs list does just that, it does not impact the folders themselves.

Regards,

CrazyM

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Would you mind showing a screen shot of that Please.

7. Rainwalker

Sorry Bubba.....i do not want to buy a screen capture program and the free check outs are too big a download for my dialup..........
    i will try to be clear....i click on Start and up pops my stuff(a few programs i have put there and Run, Search, Control Panel My Pictures etc...........
    also at the bottem is All Programs..............there listed in All Programs is a folder icon named BOClean........i lay my cursor on the folder and up pops a file named uninstall BOClean........i double click on the file and up pops Windows in all it's glory.................so you can see why i am in no hurry to delete the BOClean folder.....

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What does that folder tell you when right click on it and select properties?

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

a simple alt + Print Scrn on the keyboard would suffice.

are you meaning Windows Explorer :doubt:

Also....if you right click the uninstall BOClean shortcut....select properties....what does it say in the Target area ?

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Do you have BOClean installed? Or is this a remnant from an old install?
    If the program is no longer installed, the pointer in start/programs is probably just pointing to Windows directory as that was where the uninstall folder would normally be.

You can safely delete this entry in start/programs if you are no longer using the program without impacting the directories themselves.

Regards,

CrazyM

11. Rainwalker

It was a bit of leftover.......i trusted CrazyM, took a deep breath and jumped in.....scary...............all is well.......thanks to ya all for hangin in there :)

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Glad to hear all is well :)

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.