False Adware & Spybot Alerts

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by campco, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. campco

campco Registered Member

Read an issue somewhere within this forum that hackers had attacked the databases of Adaware and Spybot and were sending out false messages that were attempting to get people to delete their respective software packages on the premise that the contained viruses or something of that nature. Well as usually happens, I neglected to bookmark that location so I could return to it and I'm having a miserable time trying to find it again.

I have gotten those messages just in the last couple of days and ever since my computer now has some spyware or virus that has caused my machine to completely slow down. I can not gain access in such things as Control Panel, Find, My Computer, etc. and whenever I reboot I get a popup that says a file named "K2qy.exe" is not responding which I believe is part of the problem because I don't recognize that exe file at all. In addition, as soon as my desktop is finished booting I automatically get several advertising popups that log onto my screen without my doing anything.

Has anyone got any suggestions here. My OS is Win 2000 Pro and I've been using both Adaware and Spybot to regularly delete unwanted tresspassers. Even went through a Trend Micro scan that produced nothing today but I know I've got something on here that I just can't find and it's pretty invasive.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi campco :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Please follow the instructions here,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

Just go to step #2 since u have already run Spybot and Ad-aware.

Then 1 of the experts will give u recommendations on your HijackThis log.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.