Faint hearted, need assurance

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BOEING, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

I am having difficulties trying to understand how I should go about making a full image of my 40 gb internal hard drive (with only about 4 GB being used) to my new 80 GB external USB drive purely for safety back up purposes, as my internal drive has been working for 5 years in my PC running Windows 98 SE which I don't want to change.

Using ATI 8 after selecting "Create Image" no matter what I do results in the following Warning.

"The image archive file will be created on the same partition that you are going to backup ! It is highly recommended that you copy the archive to another partition or removeable media because you will not be able to restore his image archive should the partition become corrupted.
    Are you sure you want to continue with this procedure ?".

I click on Yes, and then on the next page select 'Create the full backup image archive' then Next, then 'Automatic' and Normal Compression, after the password and comment pages I get the following box.

Imaging operation summary
    Create Full Image
    From Disk 1, Disk 2
    To File "F:\MyBackup.tib"
    Compression Normal

Operation 1 of 4
    Saving Partition Structure
    Hard disk 1

Operation 2 of 4
    Creating Partition Image
    Hard Disk 1
    Drive letter C
    File Stytem Fat 32
    Volume Label
    Size 19.09GB

Operation 3 of 4
    Saving Partition Structure
    Hard Disk 2

Operation 4 of 4
    Creating Partition Image
    Hard Disk 2
    Drive Letter D
    File System Fat 32
    Volume label Classic SL
    Size 76.68 GB

Does this look OK, and I'm worried about the entry "From Disk 1 , 2 which sounds like it's taking from both, and in operation 4 of 4 it refers to "Drive letter D" but that is my CD writter drive, and the external USB drive is F, so I never get to start my image and need assurance about if it's ok to go ahead.

Thanks for any help
    Boeing

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Make sure nothing is checked on the "Selecting Partitions To Image" screen except your C drive. It sounds as if you have both C and F checked (which is why you get the warning).

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BOEING,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Could you please make screen shots all of your steps in Acronis True Image 8.0?

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hi m8 thanks very much for your reply, and on my previous multiple attempts I have on the "Selecting Partitions to Image" page had both my Disk 1 (C) and Disk 2 (D) checked but after your comments I tried again and notice that initially only the Disk 1 (C) is checked and, I thinking it was the correct thing to do checked the Disk 2 myself and then proceeded to make the image, which resulted the the warning text.

If I now make a further attempt with the settings as you advise should the image be made safely to my external USB drive 2, and is any action required due to the drive 2 being larger than my original internal one.

Regards BOEING.

5. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hi Tatyana didn't see your post until I had finished mine, and I will read up on how to make post images from your link, and do my best to provide them for you, but our friend TheWeaz has kindly suggested a possible course of action which I will try after receiving his approval of my question.
    Regards BOEING

6. TheWeaz

“I am having difficulties trying to understand how I should go about making a full image of my 40 gb internal hard drive (with only about 4 GB being used) to my new 80 GB external USB drive purely for safety back up purposes, as my internal drive has been working for 5 years in my PC running Windows 98 SE which I don't want to change.”

If your 40GB internal is C: & Disk 1, and your 80GB external is F:, and you want to image only the C: partition –
    On “Selecting Partitions To Image” be sure that only C: is checked.
    On “Image Archive Creation”, select F: and give the image a name.

If you want to image the whole disk, not just the partition, be sure that “Disk 1” is checked in step 1 of the above. This will automatically check C: as well.

7. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Thank you I will try that and let you know the result tomorrow as my wife says I have spent too much time on the computer lately and I've got to keep the peace by watching the TV with her tonight :)

Regards BOEING

8. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Hello again TheWeaz I have today carried out the procedure you kindly advised me to do, and I'm very pleased to report I now have a full working backup image of my C drive.

Things tend to seem obvious once you know, but until your post I hadn't got a clue, so many thanks my friend.

Regards BOEING

9. TheWeaz

You're welcome. If it hadn't been me, I'm sure someone else here would have given you a hand. Glad it worked out.

10. BOEING

BOEING Registered Member

Yes indeed and I've been a member of Wilders forum for quite a while, but only studied the Acronis part recently, and I'm verry impressed at the high level of member knowledge plus the willingness to impart it to others. :thumb: :thumb:

Regards BOEING

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.