Failure to eject USB memory stick

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sometimes when I try to eject my USB memory stick, it fails and I receive the following warning( shown below). I don,t know what is the reason for that. It happens off and on and I have to remove it after shutting down windows.

Attached Files:

• usb.JPG
      usb.JPG
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Sorry that I could not do too much research on this. But something is accessing that stick. From what I have read, some anti-virus and anti-spyware apps will cause this. Try shutting them down temporarily, plus any other process that may be running from the task bar on the lower right.

I would spend more time on this, but I am on my way to a meeting.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Your hardware (USB) & or software will not support hot swapping.

Hot swapping
    Term used to describe the act of removing or swapping a device when the portable computer is still on. Not all computers support hot swapping. If you are uncertain if your portable computer or hardware device supports hot swapping, we recommend you refer to the product documentation, contact the computer manufacturer, or warm swap.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But most of time I am able to do so, it,s only 10 % ot times I fail. It,s new for me that Notebooks don,t supporrt this function, never heard about that. I have XP Home SP2.
    Also at that time USB stick is not in use. How I can know AV is accessing it and why it should do it when I ma not using it at that time.

5. Rodehard

Rodehard Registered Member

When that happens to me I usually find that I still have the drive, or a file on it, displayed in explorer. Try closing explorer or selecting a differant drive and then eject the USB stick.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think it was not with me like this all the time. Anyhow I will re-check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.