Failure in my full scan!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I've got a strange failure in my ACER Aspire 3002 WLMi laptop. When I tried to scan the C:\ disk, almost all av:s were able to shut down that laptop, when their scans reached the C:\Windows\system32 folder. :mad:

I've tried to scan my C:\ with AntiVir PE Classic 7, BitDefender 9.5 Std, DrWeb 4.33.2 and F-Prot 3.16f, but my laptop shuts down all the time when those apps reached that C:\Windows\system32 folder. Only F-Prot reported a suspicious boot sector infection. All these happened after that I made a new WinXP Home Fin installation by ACER eManager and before that too. Only McAfee VSE 8.0i, with the newest 5100 engine, NOD32 and KAV 6 were able to made that full scan. I've reported that problem to DrWeb with the full scan report, but no success ever. What's going on? :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

2. Durad

Durad Registered Member

I would run scandisk and surface check before just to make sure Hdisk is OK.

Did you try blacklight and gmer?

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

So FF,

Some questions;

** After it shuts down can you turn the laptop on again immediately?
    ** Have you tried excluding the C:\Windows\system32 folder with the relevant scanners?
    ** Does it shut down with any intensive CPU/processor activity, and not just long file scanning?

I would;

1. Run ScanDisk or chkdsk first.

2. Some laptops shut down when the processor is put under a heavy load like a long scan procedure. This is supported by the "faster" on-demand AV scanners (NOD) not causing shutdown (but not by the results of F-Prot and AntiVir who are generally very fast scanners :p).

Assuming that you have no malware in that folder, I would check my disc first for any errors and then check the laptop for dust problems i.e. check and clean the fan heatsink area.

Keep us posted.

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think blackcat is right,i feel there's definetly a particular file which your AV tries to open for scanning and which in-turn shuts your computer....
    While testing for many AV's i have found that certain system32 folder .dll's or files use to cause BSODS...
    But,here i think there might be a corrupted boot-sector on which your sys32 folder is placed...
    Run checkdisk and try using some system utilities like tune-up or system mechanic to solve such issues..

5. Firefighter

Yes, I can.
    Yes but after that the problem disappeared.
    No, only full scan inside archives will shut down my laptop. With archives scanning disabled the problem doesn't occure. I have 7-Zip 4.32, ALZip 6.32, IZArc 3.5 beta3 and Jetico's BCArchive 1.0 programs installed in my laptop.

Done, but I just don't want to uninstall McAfee VSE 8.0i anymore to check if that problem has disappeared by using some of those problematic av:s. o_O Which of them I can install together with McAfee?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Since the problem disappeared if you excluded the C:\Windows\system32 folder or disabled archive scanning, are your archives in this folder o_O

So AntiVir, BitDefender, DrWeb, F-Prot 3.16f must get stuck on your large archives, whereas the other AV's don't? Archive scanning is quite CPU intensive, particularly with Dr Web's slow scanner. It is possible therefore, that the CPU is overheating and the system is shutting down to simply protect the processor.
    Alternatively, transfer your large archives to another partition/hard drive or simply don't enable archive scanning in the other scanners.

Can you check these archives with context-menu scanning of any of the AV's without any problems?

IMO, I would just stay with McAfee as the only AV installed and just use another on-line scanner for additional, occasional checks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  7. Firefighter

Maybe you were right? Just now, when I reinstalled KAV 6, but forgot to tweak the "skip if scan takes longer than = 45 sec" and "skip if object is greater than = 100 MB", even KAV 6 was able to shut down the Laptop in the "My Computer scan". When I tweaked KAV 6 as I just wrote, there was no problem at all to make a full scan with KAV 6. o_O Maybe McAfee VSE 8.0i has already some limitations to it and NOD32 too or they are not so good in scanning archives as KAV and those other ones I've tried! o_O

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.