"Failed to write data to the image archive file..."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jack H, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack H

Jack H Registered Member

Dell Inspiron 7500, Win2000Pro clean install, TI 7.0 build 584.

Great product. However when creating an image file, either full or incremental, on two different external HDDs, I consistently get this message:

"Failed to write data to the image archive file. A possible reason might be poor media quality."

CHKDSK on drive C reveals no errors. This was done on a boot. Checked options were automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recover of bad sectors. CHKDSK on the first external HDD also revealed no errors.

After reading the suport forum, I uninstalled and reinstalled TI. No change.

I purchased and downloaded TI on 7/26/04. A 1.1GB full disk image went fine. Next day a 1.4GB full disk image went fine. Incrementals on 7/28 and 7/30 went fine. Then the problem occurred. I ordered the second external HDD thinking that the first external HDD was the problem. But no, the new drive makes no difference. The message occurs when about 30% done.

Today, 8/5/04, I downloaded and installed build 627. Results: I hoped for the best, but the same error occurred at about the same place.

Glad to see such a good support forum. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jack

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Jack H

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

It look to me for some reason it is confusing your External HDD with your Optical Drive.

How many Optical Drives do you have.

I have to things you can try [a] Change the drive letters to the OD's. [I always make mine Y:\ and Z:\ on a clean install that away you can add and remove HDD and the OD's always keep the same drive letters. [if you do not know how to do this please come to me]

Or try using you BootDisk much less Conflict.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Jack H

Jack H Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I ran CHKDSK (drive) /r on C, D, and E. Per your advice today I renamed CD drive D to Y. I then tried to create an image with TI. It failed again.

BTW, my laptop is using USB 1.1. This is all painfully slow.

Then per your advice I tried booting from the 6 TI floppies, for build 627. It failed again, with the message, "Failed to write to sector 1,761,832 of the hard drive 0". Trying the other external hard disk drive as where to write the image also failed.

Something is happening here that TI 7.0 build 627 can't handle.

Thanks,

Jack

4. TheQuest

Hi, Jack H

Not rename the drive, Change the drive letter with Disk management.

Are you using the Sercure Zone to create your Images in.

How did you do the clean Install of 2K Pro.

Take care,

5. Jack H

Jack H Registered Member

Hi there,

Thanks for your help.

Re: "Not rename the drive, Change the drive letter with Disk management." - Please do not scold me for something I didn't do. Instead, ask if perhaps that's what I did. Using Disk Mgt, I renamed the CD drive letter from D to Y. The disk labels were unchanged.

Re: "Are you using the Secure Zone to create your Images in." - No, not on drive C. It would be useless if the whole disk fails. As the documentation says, "The only reason to create an image on the same partition (except for creating an image in the Acronis Secure Zone) is to use the image as a local, secondary backup."

But I appreciate your suggestions. I created a Secure Zone in drive C and gave it a try, to create a full disk image. It ran to completion. Nice. However, it does not accomplish the task of backing up to *another* drive, so I am still stuck. To my knowledge, the "files" in the Secure Zone cannot be copied as tib files.

Since the Secure Zone on my C disk is not a true backup, I deleted it so I could create one on an external HDD. However, True Image was unable to create one on either of my 2 external HDDs. The error message was "Acronis True Image was not able to create Acronis Secure Zone on the selected drive." for both drives. These are your garden variety USB HDDs, an Iomega and an AcomData.

Re: "How did you do the clean Install of 2K Pro." - Reformat from FAT32 to NTFS, install from Microsoft Win2KPro CD. 100% clean. Disk C is unpartitioned.

BTW, I've been disconnecting from the internet and disabling my virus checker while attempting to create these disk images.

Thanks again,

Jack

6. TheQuest

Hi, Jack H
    Sorry Jack badly wrote on my part. ;)

I agree, was just asking any info helps.

Yes you a right you can not move them from or any to the SZ.

Have you ran a HDD Diagnostic test on the them?
    Are they formatted? Ti can not create an Image on a unformatted HDD,

I ask just i case there was a hidden partition. only a wipe with [000] will get rid of them, but Ti would see them as Non something or other file systems.

I leave mine running, but as I said before I use the CD-BootDisk all the time.

Take Care,

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  7. Jack H

Jack H Registered Member

Re: "Have you run a HDD Diagnostic test on the them?
    Are they formatted? Ti can not create an Image on a unformatted HDD,"

Yes. As it says in an earlier message, "Yesterday I ran CHKDSK (drive) /r on C, D, and E." Of course they are formated. :)

Jack

8. TheQuest

Hi, Jack H

I was only trying to help, Good luck.

Take Care,

9. Jack H

Jack H Registered Member

Thanks. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into trying to help me. This is something that is all too rare these days. If everyone had your wonderful attitude, that they want to give more than they receive, then just think what a wonderful world it would be.

Jack ;)

10. kcowin

kcowin Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem. I don't think it has anything to do with optical drives, I think it may be related to oplocks which may time out the access to external disk resources. Very interested if someone has any thoughts here. I am using a RAID array on a linux box as a fileserver and I am backing up to the array- so it may be similar to your problem.

Ken

11. Jack H

Jack H Registered Member

Acronis True Image is extremely well conceived and this is a tough domain to program. I appreciate everyone's help, but the problem remains unsolved.

On August 6 I reported the problem to Acronis support, complete with an AcronisProblemReport file. Today is August 11. Approximately how long do I need to wait, on the average, to get a reply and get this problem solved?

Thanks,

Jack

12. tbpot

tbpot Registered Member

maybe is this an option;

proceed to make an image on the mounted INTERN harddrive (with enough free space), and than after create it restart your system and try to copy it to your extern hdd.
    if you want to put the image back you can simply point to the extern hdd were you have moved your image to.
    before you proceed like that, you must be awere of the installed options on recovering an image, so that the bootfile on the resceu cd can read and write from the extern hdd, also check your bios options for that (*usb options in bios)

and maybe ......... it works.
    :rolleyes:

13. Jack H

Jack H Registered Member

Thanks. However this option has already been examined.

As the thread says above, "I created a Secure Zone in drive C and gave it a try, to create a full disk image. It ran to completion. Nice. However, it does not accomplish the task of backing up to *another* drive, so I am still stuck. To my knowledge, the "files" in the Secure Zone cannot be copied as tib files."

And as the reply says, "Yes, you are right. You can not move them from or to the Secure Zone."

The only way to make an image on the internal drive, drive C in my laptop, is to create a partition or use a Secure Zone. It is unpartitioned, so that's out, unless I buy another program, the only purpose of which would be to attempt to cover bugs in True Image. "Files" created in a Secure Zone (on drive C or anywhere) cannot be copied anywhere, so your suggestion is out. Or perhaps I don't understand you clearly?

Thanks,

Jack

BTW, where is the *real* support on this forum? I get the impression that the suggestions being offered are from end users who, while sometimes helpful, are no where near the level of professionalism one would expect from true technical support. It's been 6 days now, and the pros are nowhere to be seen on this problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.