Failed to read when creating image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mikeblas, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeblas

mikeblas Registered Member

I have a drive that I'm trying to back up. That drive is marginal. (That's why I want to back it up! Hopefully, after I back it up, I can replace it.)

When backing it up to an image, Acronis True Image stops working. After retrying and timing out for a long time, it ends up posting a message box which says:

E0000101F4: Failed to read data from the disk.

Failed to read from the sector 758,807 of the hard disk 3.

If I press "Retry", the operation just fails again.

If I press "Ignore", it ignores this failure and continues -- soon to fail at another bad sector. If I press "Ignore All", the program continues and succeeds. But it never logs which sectors failed. I don't even know how many of them are bad!

Is there a way to get this information out of the program? It would be very valuable!

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I had a similar problem with TI 6.0 and a failing drive with a damaged OS. The Rescue CD would complain about failed sectors and I had to choose "Ignore All" for the backup to proceed. But at the very end of the backup, just when I expected the "Congratulations" message to pop up, the PC would reboot, and the image on my remote file server would be corrupt.

I managed to backup the drive by first running a program called SpinRite. It was able to salvalge enough of the damaged sectors to allow Windows to boot, and then I could do an on-line file backup using NTBackup. I replaced the drive, restored from the NTBackup file, and only seem to have lost an DLL for my Logitech keyboard :)

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You didn't say what operating system you are using, but if you are using Windows, Scandisk with the Thorough option in Windows 9x or ErrorChecking in WinXP will give you that information. In WinXP, start Windows Explorer, right click on the drive letter and select Properties. Click on the Tools tab and then click on the Check now button under Error Checking. Check both boxes and reboot. The report at the end of the check will list the number of bad sectors.

4. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

If nothing else works buy SpinRite, it's worth every cent.
    I recently had a disk which I couldn't access and the Western Digital Diagnostics found to be totally corrupted. Spinrite fixed it - although I had to run Spinrite a couple of times before it was completely successful.
    I recovered all my data.
    If it can't repair the disk you'd need to consider a much more expensive professional data recovery service with no guarantee they can do any better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.