Failed to backup file or folder - ATIH 2009

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by steveinnc, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveinnc

steveinnc Registered Member

Acronis True Image Home 2009.

I get the error folder “Failed to backup file or folder” when backing up My Documents.

I have applied the latest version 9709. I have also run chkdsk /r on the c drive.

I have 11 other backups that run with no problems, 2 of them are complete backups of the C drive (to 2 different locations).

I run WinXP with SP3. Any idea on what I can try to fix the problem?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I do not know your drive configuration but I would suggest to use the Windows Disk Management option and see if it displays any additional partitions in addition to the C partition. If you do have additional partitions, then I would suggest that you make/retain occasional backups images where you tick the "Disk" option so your backups will include everything on the disk. This type backup (disk) can be especially helpful if you should need to restore to a new or larger drive.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello steveinnc,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Could you please provide us with the entire log file?

- Launch the program;
    - Tasks and logs, Log;
    - Choose the log entry which contains errors and make right-click on it;
    - Select save option and specify the desired location for the log file to save to;
    - Attach the log file to your post.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

4. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

A bit more info is needed here.
    Starting with the obvious - Do you have enough space to backup to?

Do you know which folders are not backed up?

Do these folders contain file types that you have told the backup program to exclude?

5. steveinnc

Ok,
    Here is the log file.

Thanks,
    Steve

Attached Files:

6. steveinnc

Yes, I do have enough space to backup to.

No, I don't have any idea. There are a lot of folders and files under My Documents. It would take a great deal of time to try and figure that out.

I left the default exclusions when I set up the task. And there are some that are in there.

Steve

7. Acronis Support

Hello Steve,

To resolve the issue please download Acronis Scheduler, which is a special utility to update the scheduler service. The link is available here

Extract the downloaded file, run install.bat and wait for the process to be completed. The utility will automatically update the service. Reboot the computer and re-create the task. The issue should be resolved.

Also please try to set temporally the compression in default backup options to None and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

8. steveinnc

I've downloaded the file, ran install.bat and rebooted. No change.

I tried running the task directly through scheduled task screen. It has the same problem plus when the error message pops up and I click on ignore all, it attempts to finish the backup but it fails that with a popup error from windows stating that there is a problem with Acronis True Image Service and that it needs to close and do I wish to send a report to Microsoft.

Now if I start any other of my scheduled tasks after I close the error boxes they run just fine.

My compression on all of the backups is already set to normal.

Any other things that I can try?

Thanks,
    Steve

9. Acronis Support

Hello steveinnc,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image Home 2009

First of all please make sure that you are using the latest build of the program (build 9796). Check it in Help -> About. You can always download the latest build of the program from your account under Registered Products.

I would recommend you to check hard drive for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If the issue persists please send us Acronis Report. Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us? Please compress the Acronis Report output file into an archive (e.g. with WinZip) and attach to your message by browsing for the archive. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

10. sf3438

sf3438 Registered Member

i was also having this issue and updated to build 9796 today (having the same problem).
    the error still came up for me, but at least this time when i clicked 'Ignore' it seemed to keep going through to other files. any idea which file causes this?

i did the get another error after this that says 'failed to lock the file' but not sure if that is another issue or what.

11. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I see that you have added a new thread about the error message 'failed to lock the file'.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=246284

12. steveinnc

OK,
    I ran chkdsk /r on all of the drives in”My Computer”.

Then I went under my register products and downloaded version 9796. I installed it but after the reboot when I checked the version under Help -> About it showed version 9.791. I reinstalled it and when the “Modify, Repair or Uninstall” Screen showed up I selected Modify. After the reboot it still showed version 9.791.

I attempted the run the “My Documents “ backup. It attempted to back up and showed the error” “Failed to backup file or folder”. I clicked on “ignore all”, it ran for a little while then came up with the Windows error “stating that there is a problem with Acronis True Image Service and that it needs to close and do I wish to send a report to Microsoft” and also with the Acronis error that the backup failed.

I am attaching the Acronis Report utility report.

P.S. The attachment facility would not allow me to upload a zip file, so I uploaded just the text file.

Thanks,
    Steve

Attached Files:

13. steveinnc

Still having this problem. Any ideas on what to try to fix it?

Steve

14. Acronis Support

Hello Steve,

Try running separate backup tasks, so that the amount of files in a onetime backup will be reduced. Let us know the results.

Also, you can save the archive with the the zip extension.

The Zip format is available when backing up files and/or folders as well as when making reserve copies of your backups. Acronis True Image Home provides for the zip format most of the functionality available for the tib format, except password protection and encryption –you can schedule backups, validate zip backup archives, restore files and folders from zip archives, make incremental and differential backups, and so on.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

15. chapashop

chapashop Registered Member

I installed the latest version today. I used to have TI 10. I did not uninstall that app and waited for TI 2009 tell me if I needed to uninstall before I installed the new ver.

Could there be a problem with remants from the old version?

I was testing out this feature with a folder with about 20MB of data. I tried to write out to my USB hard drive which did not work. I moved the target to my C: drive and it did not work either.

16. Acronis Support

Hello chapashop,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image Home 2009

The issue can be with the compression algorithm. To avoid this, in the task options, set the compression level to none.

I would recommend you uninstall version 10 using Add/Remove Programs before installing Acronis True Image Home 2009.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.