Failed Restoration of Server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dercoss, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dercoss

dercoss Registered Member

On a client's pc I have tried to restore an image of the entire c drive containing an image of Server 2003. It seemed to go ok but on restarting an lsass.exe error popped up which told me to boot into Directory Services Restore Mode which starts then logs out, restarts and so it goes on. I can't even get into safe mode..

I have tried earlier saved images with the same result. Should the C drive be formatted an empty before a restoration or is there something wrong with the images created?

dc

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dercoss,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please note that there is no need to prepare your hard drive for the image restoration in any way, since all the data on all partitions will be automatically overwritten with the data from the image archive.

Could you please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem?

- When exactly the boot process stops?

- What exact error message have you received?

- Have you made any changes to the hardware configuration prior to restoring the image?

- Tell me whether you have restored an image of the entire hard drive or an image of the system partition only.

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. dercoss

It appears there is a daily backup made of the entire C drive, which is stored on a second drive. I have tried booting using the boot disk and selecting a backup which is verified and reinstalled ok. However, on restarting, the boot process halts at the Windows logo and throws up a lsass.exe error and asks for a reboot to the Directory Services Restore Mode.

This just results in endless reboots. Booting into Safe mode throws up the same lsass.exe error.

There has been no change to the config of the server and I've tried various backups with the same result..

dc

4. dercoss

This is the error..

lsass.exe - system error.

security accounts initialisation failed because of the following error. Directory service cannot start. error 0xc00002e1.

It then tells me to boot into directory services restore mode which is what I describe above..

According to Microsoft the problem is due to the original system disk being labelled as F: rather than C: and this is causing the error when I try to restore things..

I am working on a fix now..

dc

5. dercoss

Right... Problem finally solved.

I changed the drive letter as per Microsoft's advice here...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258062/en-us

and that seems to have enable me to boot into a restored copy of my server. Everything seems back to normal at last...

There was no problem with the Acronis image, in fact I might get hold of a copy myself now...

dc

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dercoss,

Thank you very much for posting back the results of your investigation.

I'm really glad to hear that the problem has been solved.

If you have any further questions or experience to share please feel free to post them on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.