Failed integrity checks :(

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by monographix, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monographix

monographix Registered Member

First, my automatic cyclic backup failed while performing its scheduled differential backup, presenting a "script" or something error ...
    Then, checking all my previous backups, they give integrity errors ("between sector xxxx and yyyy") .... Those were good backups so far, why suddenly they can't pass integrity check?
    I deleted them and created new manual and cyclic ones. Checking them, and again i get integrity errors ... and the scheduled cyclic fails again ....

?

Hard Disk Manager 2011

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are the xxxx and yyyy numbers the same for all backups or do they vary?

Did they all verify before the problem or is this the first time you tried to verify?

One thing that can upset verification is bad RAM and this could possibly upset your cyclic backup. Have you changed anything else on your system?

You can easily check your RAM by running Memtest86+ available from www.memtest.org it is free. Let it run for at least a few passes, overnight is best. You should have zero errors reported.

3. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

In addition to RAM check please run Check Disk for all partitions you use in backup:
    * open My Computer
    * right-click all required partitions one-by-one and select Properties - Tools - Error-check and click Check now.
    * enable flag "Automatically fix file system errors" and run the check.

Then try to run backup again.

In many cases file system errors may cause backup integrity check fail.

4. monographix

Thank you all
    Found out it was the pagefile. I had it disabled. (have 8 Gb RAM). Is there a way maybe that HDM won't need a pagefile to work properly ?

5. seekforever

It's your PC but the majority of articles I've read say that running without a pagefile does nothing for speed and will cause problems if it is needed either because of lack of RAM or the application was written to take advantage of it.

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I haven't watched lately but IIRC, HDM2011S by default doesn't backup "pagefile" during archive. They've streamlined the program and have eliminated some of the things that were shown before, so I'm unsure if it still shows it skipping that file. There was another file that was skipped by default also but I can't remember the file name right now.

7. seekforever

I don't think his problem was the backing up but rather the fact the system was running without a pagefile.

AFAIK, B&R 2011 still shows the pagefile and hibernation file as being skipped. There is no reason to back them up since they are both re-created on boot up.

8. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

By default 2 files are always excluded from backup: pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys .

9. monographix

I'd like to pop the question again, is there a way maybe that HDM won't need a pagefile to backup without issues ? And if not, is there a minimum amount of pagefile it needs ?

10. seekforever

Since there are no settings for it then only Paragon really knows how/if you can remove the requirement. You could try a support request and see what they say.

From the errors you know if it is working or not so why not just create a minimum and see if it works and then bump it up until the errors go away.

Would you care to share why you want to run without a pagefile?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.