Failed connection message

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Karmacat, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karmacat

Karmacat Registered Member

Could someone tell me how to get rid of a message that says 'Failed to connect to Driver 2', this comes up everytime I boot up the computer. Using XP sp2.

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. Karmacat

Hi GlobalForce,

Thanks for trying to help, but I still get the message....I've been told it could have something to do with 'Services' that have been connected or disconnected.....other than the message which is real annoying, everything seems to be working as normal.

Karmacat:oops:

4. GlobalForce

Runbox > devmgmt.msc .... your looking for yellow question mark's that would signify some sort of trouble. What you want to do is expand the plus sign's, check, then goto *View* and check the one's that are hidden. If you'd also confirm you tried disconnecting item's hooked into your system then re-booting for the message?

EDIT: Would you also take a look inside Event Viewer for a possible error that reference's the driver message (runbox: eventvwr.msc).

GF

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  5. Karmacat

Hi GlobalForce,

Thanks for replying...

I checked the device drivers and there is a problem with 'AXVSCSI Controller' problem code 19. There are also warnings in Eventvwr for Userenv, Msi Installer and in the System, SideBySide...this all gets a little too complicated for me. I did unplug everything but it's the same. Maybe I should just ignore it since everything is still working as normalo_O

6. GlobalForce

Karmacat,

I hadn't realized the other day this AXVSCSI item belong's to Alcohol. Unfortunately their support forum's are only open to member's, not peep's like me in search of solution's (read it on Google's cached pages but cannot re-find the particular link). I would suggest you join if you aren't a member already then searching by thread title .... you'll be looking for one titled "Alcohol XP Reboot Problem (again!)." In that thread a poster named *Simplicity* has a temporary work-around (more or less a pain in my opinion) whereby disabling this driver when your plan's don't include using Alcohol (caution advised without viewing beforehand).

Technical detail's revolve around IDE channel sharing and I/O BIOS ports which I hope are being sorted prior to the next release.
    If you've only trialed it and no longer have it onboard, let me know this .... there are a few detail's on removing it entirely.

GF

7. Karmacat

Hi GF,

You're right....I did have Alcohol on my system but got rid of it...I did try out a few different burners and ended up having a problem a while back because I removed an older version of Roxio. I was able to fix that problem, but should know better not to play around with installing different burners. So now how do I completely get rid of Alcoholo_O

8. GlobalForce

After more probing, my concern's have shifted to exactly "how" you went about uninstalling Alcohol in the first place? This takes precedence over any further suggestion's on my part, and will require a bit of detective work on your's.

"How do I go about doing that you ask?"
    For starters and most important you must try to remember two critical detail's ....

1. Did you install using expert mode (this would be where you had the chance to apply custom names to driver files)?
      If your answer is no, or if you remember never having created any custom names, everything then ride's on the next question!

2. Before the uninstall, did you venture into option's, setting the number of virtual drive's to zero?
    ~ ahhh .... the old principle of "think twice, do once" ~ :cautious:

If, and it's a BIG IF, you can't recall or, are unsure, or if any virtual drives still remain .... it may be in you best interest to download, then reinstall, following All directions offered in the second section (Google - alcohol support knowledge base, should be the first - support.alcohol-soft.com/en/knowledgebase.php). This will allow you to properly rid yourself of Alcohol and the reason for your post.

Should you choose to go about this the right (IMHO) way, I am more than willing to assist you removing registry entries and system files.

GF

9. Karmacat

Hello again GF,

IT'S GONE....I'm not totally sure what it did, but I did reinstall and uninstall Alcohol, now that driver and the message are both gone.

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.