Facelift in Ubuntu 10.04

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Martijn2, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=darktheme.png
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=lighttheme.png
    source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Brand
    Looks very slick, let's hope it's also stable en fast ;)

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... personally I don,t like this blackish color.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't like either one of them either.... The existing look and theme is much better IMO. Oh well.....

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I installed today's daily build and the new theme is rather nice looking. Generally I install a few themes so as to change that awful default one, but, so far, it's cool the way it is. It appears to be a hit over at Ubuntuforums in the Lucid section. Also, Lucid is becoming more and more stable at least on my PC. The last few daily builds have been real nice (I rsync every morning...:)). Prior to three days ago it was one crash after another...plus this annoying, random, hit the Enter key and get kicked back to the Login screen thing. But, it's coming along quite nicely at present.

Later...

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I use Clearlooks dark, like everything in black as the glare kills my eyes.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

The light looks nice, but I will have to see it on my system to be convinced. I've come to love the bisigi themes and am using balanzan right now, and will probably use it in Lucid. Even though I thought the default karmic theme was an improvement over the previous human themes, i never really liked the orange folder look.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, Balanzan is really great, I use that one also.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have just tried a daily image of ubuntu 10.04 and I like the new theme.
    I prefer the lighter version of it.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's my take on the matter ...

The color of stability

I've written a review of the latest Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx theme proposals, including the Ambiance and Radiance light and dark themes, similar to Mac-OSX looks, with additional focus on features, branding, some problems, and stability. Take a read on what I think the Canonical future brings.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/color-stability.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

11. Trespasser

Hey, Mrk. :).

I haven't read your review yet but let me guess.......you hate it and think Canonical is headed in a horrible direction.

:p. I just had to say that. And, Mrk, it was all in light jest.

Now I'll read your review.

Later...

12. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

A thoughtful, balanced review mrk. Thank you. At least the powers to be over at Ubuntu are listening and moving away from the past human themes. The light theme looks nice and, with any of the default themes, I will keep it around for a while and try to like it.

I'm assuming you know this already, but PCLinuxOS is gearing up for a new shiny kde4 release (already in beta). Good feedback so far.

13. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I think the new themes are a great improvement over the previous ones. However, I can't help but think they still look a bit cartoony compared to Windows and Mac.

14. linuxforall

Cartoony is a relative term, Windows 7 looks like a sick botched copy of KDE 4 and the less I say about Mac's eye candy OS, the better, I guess the iPhone is where they should concentrate now. Pwn2Own is near, last time Mac was the first to fall, lets see what new findings are revealed this year.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

tbh i think the opposite, KDE4 is coping windows. windows 7 looks better than KDE. KDE does look better in every release but windows 7 and mac still look better. I wish ubuntu could be more original,while mac does look good it has already been done.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree on that. I think Win 7 looks much better than KDE4 or anything in linux. The best looking linux I have seen is probably Sabayon.

17. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

But be honest guys, what other can you do? Put the buttons on the rights side of a window = Windows, on the left = Mac. As long as the GUI is user friendly and improves it's functionality (easier access to multiple tabs for example) , I honestly don't give a thing how the colours are. I've worked with this new interface for several days now, and can honestly say it's a improvement over the current one.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ubuntu is far behid windows as far as GUI is concerned.

19. Trespasser

I'd like to see Ubuntu Gnome adopt Ubuntu System Panel as it's menu of choice instead of the Applications...Places...System of present. Far more modern, IMO. Beginners would find it quite appealing and functional.

Thought I'd throw that in. :).

Later...

20. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Damn. I like it. If Ubuntu starts natively supporting my hardware I would love to dual boot with it.

21. linuxforall

Windows 7 in its wildest dream can't match KDE in terms of design or function, the only thing KDE now needs is rock solid stability of Gnome. KDE 4.4 makes Windows7 look like a toy factory gone wrong.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Is-it-Windows-7-or-KDE-4-/0,139023769,339294810,00.htm

FYI, KDE predates the look of Win7 so its good old Windows as usual, steal from here and there, put a new label and market it as cutting edge OS. Windows also borrowed as much as it could from Mac OSX but kept it in a way so that they don't get into an infringement battle.

As for who has better better GUI, well I use Ubuntu but don't use KDE, I would rather have the functionality and simplicity of Gnome combined with stability and I find it more functional than the Windows 7 desktop I am currently running on a new PC I built for my nephew.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just shows you how tastes vary from person to person. I think KDE 4 looks like a toy compared to Win 7. 7 is much more professional looking and polished to me. And I say that even though I like KDE 4.

23. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Agree, Kerodo.

24. linuxforall

KDE 4 predates 7 and polish is such a relative term, to some Aero looks like a joke which it truly is as do KDE Plasma. However there is absolutely no doubt who borrowed from whom so the credit must go where its due and speaking of professional, Windows 7 is for grown up kids, if you want pro mature look, come to Gnome or XPx64 or 2008 or 2003, thats serious, stable no nonsense look of maturity.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kde 4 does predate windows 7. windodws 7 has aero snap and kde 4.4 has a feature that does the same thing. kde 4.4 came out after windows 7.

I feel that windows 7 looks and feels better than other desktop environments.

KDE seems like a bit of a mess to me. overall its good but there are things that annoy me about it. it has around 3 different style start menus.
    im gonna test out mandriva lastest kde live cd. I have always liked mandriva's implementation of KDE.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.