Facebook update will read your SMS plus ...

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CloneRanger, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

2. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Oh, it gets better:

http://readwrite.com/2014/01/28/facebook-contact-information-request

"Facebook would always rather you share more, not less, on the social network. Its latest tweak now puts your friends to work to cajole you to part with personal information you may not have wanted to put out there.

Users who have not disclosed their phone numbers, home addresses or personal emails on their Facebook profiles will start getting notifications from friends who want to know more."

This guy is a trip. But, if anyone remembers a few quotes of his from the early days, we were warned. Honestly, with all of the information about Facebook practices out there now, those who still use it kind of deserve it. Others can talk about their rights and how the corporation has no right to be doing what they are..but if you signed up knowing full well what was going on and only then decided to groan about it..shut up. Mark Zuckerberg does not care what you think or what you want. How much more obvious can the man make it?

3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/29/facebook_android_privacy_flap/

4. Dave0291

I'll believe their explanation a few months down the road when and if this hasn't turned into another one of their "features" and Mark hasn't made yet another decision on how users should share what, when, where and how without asking them. The point about s*** permission control on Android is pretty valid in my opinion though.

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I agree, if you are still on NSAbook, you deserve what you get. Vote with your digital feet.

6. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I do. NSAbook has it's adventages. You can use it for example to find your old middle school friends. Thank you NSA.

7. Dave0291

What's very sad is that some out there will use that very reason to defend the company.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I always disliked the idea of blaming the victim instead of the perpetrator. This is no different: Facebook is to blame for the privacy invasions, not the users. Yes, some people use Facebook without knowing or caring about all the details about the activities Facebook is engaged in, but that makes them victims, not wrong-doers who somehow "deserve it".

9. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I see your point and may change slightly, my comment. But it _is_ opt-in.

10. Dave0291

Your argument works for malware, NSA spying through apps, programs and services, and other things that are pretty much out of user control. It does not work for issues like this. Of course Facebook, or rather Zuckerberg is to blame for this. But users who know what the company does yet refuse to avoid them or stop using them are to blame as well if not more. If you're a close friend of mine wanting to use Facebook, and I warn you about all of this yet you choose to go ahead anyway because you want to keep up with a few people you knew long ago..how exactly are you not to blame?

If you want to keep up with someone that bad, we still have phones, email, instant messengers, etc. And if they only want you to contact them through Facebook, I have some news for you, they probably aren't that interested in keeping up with you. No one is worth the privacy loss and in some cases the loss of safety that comes with Facebook, outside of your immediate family whom I'm sure you have many more ways to contact.

If someone doesn't know what Facebook does, I'll give you a bit of room for your argument. However, if they have access to Facebook, they have access to every story and every forum post warning about the service. We can't use ignorance of the law as an excuse when we get into trouble, so why should we be able to use ignorance as an excuse when it comes to Facebook dangers? Again, it's a matter of what we can and can't control, and we can quite easily control what Facebook does by telling them to screw off.

11. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Dave0291, I will not insist any more because I believe that my argument about user being a victim in this case is clear enough. You have a different opinion about this, I don't agree with it, but I don't think that I can change your views and you won't be able to change mine, so let's leave it at that :)

12. Virmaline

Virmaline Registered Member

And this is why I don't use facebook. It has nothing to offer I want or need. Besides, I find Zuckerberg and his ilk distasteful.

As for blame, in a practical sense it falls wholly on the user for being so naive and foolish, but on a universal level the "provider" is also responsible; the heroin addict is certainly to blame unless someone forcibly stuck the first needle in his arm, but morally the dealer/pusher is also to blame for not being his brother's keeper. Nevertheless it is a bit perplexing when people sign on for something and insist on continuing to use it while moaning and groaning about it. It's complaining about the problem and the solution. Don't like it, leave.

13. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Everything I share on facebook is what I would share in public. What is the big deal?

14. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

and now with Whatsapp acquisition....more to come soon! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.