Facebook or Twitter? Why Twitter might be the better choice.

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Tyrizian, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have been debating with myself if I should join Facebook and just as I talk myself into joining Facebook comes out with some new restriction that is not very good for the members of Facebook, and remember somebody in the past hacked Facebook and took member information. So I would say Twitter is more secure and more stable and resistant to outside forces.

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I agree

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Twitter does not even come close to providing services, like FB does. It is like choosing between a candy and and a cake. It is completely different. :)

5. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I would avoid facebook if I were you. I don't trust Mark Zuckerberg with any of my personal info. Twitter is just as bad.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The choice between Facebook and Twitter is usually related to the service your friends/acquaintances/colleagues are using. It is rather pointless to create a Twitter account if everyone you know has a Facebook one (and vice-versa). The fact that one or the other offer better privacy/security/etc. becomes less relevant.

7. DesuMaiden

That's a good point. Just go with the flow. Or use which ever service your friends are all using. :)

Although to be honest, I am gonna avoid using facebook or twitter altogether, because they invade my privacy a little bit too much. Or at the very least I will minimize the amount of status updates I make, and never post any pictures of myself on Facebook. Why? Because I don't want to give all my privacy to facebook. I'll like to maintain some privacy every now and then, rather than constantly let Stalk-Me Book know about everything I do.

The same goes for Google, which is why the only time I use google search is through Tor+ an HTTP proxy ontop of Tor. The HTTPs proxy allows me to bypass the Tor-blocking feature of Google searches. With Tor+ HTTPS proxy I can surf Google with Tor without Google blocking my Tor. Therefore I can anonymously surf google. Even though Google can still track what I search via Tor, they got no idea who the original searcher is because they got no idea where the originating ip address is coming from.

8. Nebulus

The balance between usability and privacy is up to the user. But given the latest developments regarding mass surveillance, I wouldn't base my decision on which of the services is more "private" because most likely neither of them is. And with privacy taken out from the equation, you are free to use whichever service is used by your friends! Or you can go and hide in the mountains... :)

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

To me Facebook is no more then a feature rich enhanced duplicate of old relic Yahoo Messenger, taken to a more wide open public means of revealing everything you chat about.

Think about it.

10. Nebulus

To be honest, I like Yahoo Messenger more. Using it was more of a two-way communication experience, unlike Facebook where you are mostly exposing yourself...
    And to return on topic, the same description applies to Twitter as well, not just Facebook.

11. DesuMaiden

I say ditch Facebook and Twitter. I rely on BBMs for communication. Encrypted to prevent snooping. Only word of mouth is surveillance-proof.

Facebook breeds narcissism and a nonchalant attitude towards privacy. I care about privacy, so I am not using it. Most of my friends have the fallacious "I don't have anything to hide, so why do I privacy attitude", so they are allowing the government to strip them of all form of privacy. Also, they update their Facebook statutes incessantly, thereby allowing Big Brother to see everything they are doing and thinking.

Since Facebook encourages the public posting of identifying personal info (something I would never do), I would avoid Facebook and its ilk altogether. Besides, Facebook's so-called privacy settings are a joke, and it is very easy to find anyone's so-called privately "protected" Facebook info with a good search engine.

12. Nebulus

Actually, I used to believe this about Facebook as well, but I tried myself to see if you can use a search engine to find private information stored on Facebook (on a personal account with correctly configured privacy settings). And it turned out it is impossible. If you have some info/link that proves otherwise, please share it with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.