Facebook invitation, is there a way out?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Drakar, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drakar

Drakar Registered Member

So, I received a dreaded Facebook invitation from someone I haven't seen in ages, probably let FB scan the whole contact list. No, I don't want to join FB. There is a link at the bottom which says "If you do not wish to receive this type of email from Facebook in the future, please click here to unsubscribe". What do you guys think? Should I click this "opt out" or just mark the message as spam? Yes, it's a legit message from FB.

Gods, I don't understand why people do this. Now FB has my email forever in their database.

2. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello Drakar;

The same thing happened to me about a year ago.
    I opted out then but still occasionally receive (and refuse) an "invitation" to join Facebook, so obviously, they have my e-mail address as well.
    Nothing I can do about it as my requests to be permanently removed from any contact and/or share lists are not being heeded.
    It's too bad, but this is today's reality.

As for you, it's a personal decision. If you want to establish contact with this individual, why not do so outside of Facebook and make it clear that you want nothing to do with social media websites and all contact must stay outside of them.

Otherwise, if you don't desire to pursue contact with this person, mark the message as spam, attempt to block any future e-mails from the same address, and move on.

Good luck !

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I do not have an account, at least officially.

Some time ago, I checked the opt-out and requested written confirmation that I was not registered in any way with Facebook.
    I did receive such confirmation, but still get invitations to join delivered to my mailbox.

Running a name search returns no hits and the frequency of the "invitations" has greatly diminished, so I can only assume that my request was honored- at least to the extent such requests are honored.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

A few years ago I joined FB just to see if I would like it. After a few months I found that it is a waste of time and generally stupid. I cancelled my subscription opting for the cancellation for good. They also have a cancellation temporarily option. A few months ago I received an invitation telling me that someone I know wanted to be my "friend" on FB. I deleted the e-mail in my Mailwasher app so the e-mail was bounced back like I didn't exist. A month later I got another request from this person and this time listed a few of my relatives, pictures included from my cancelled account. I repeated the above delete, and haven't been contacted since. So far...
    Orwell lives. :blink:

6. Drakar

Drakar Registered Member

Thanks, you've all been very helpful. I just clicked the opt-out link and ticked the option to not receive FB emails anymore. Hopefully I won't receive any invitations to join FB again. I do not want a account.

7. QuestionEverything

QuestionEverything Registered Member

Facebook is one of the worst services on the web. I have an account with them, so than when someone looks up my name, they see only what I want them to see.

I wouldn't care if facebook gave all the data they have about me to a national news paper, they only have data that's public anyway. Making a facebook account for yourself is a good idea, it'll prevent someone else from spoofing you identity on facebook, and saying embarrassing things as you online.

Think of facebook as a poster board on the front door of your office. If you wouldn't want your boss, your wife, your children and parents to read it, don't post it on facebook.

Preferably only log into facebook through tor and over ssl.

Also, you can use the following noscript ABE rule to prevent facebook from tracking you around the internet.

Site .facebook.com .fbcdn.net
    Accept from .facebook.com .fbcdn.net
    Deny

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Right, you keep using it. :D

9. momzoo

momzoo Registered Member

how do i post a new topic

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

At the top of this page, click Wilders Security Forums. This brings you to the main page. Look through the list of forums and pick the appropriate one for your subject matter and click new thread.:)

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, people have sent me invitations to join Facebook. If I ever get anything from FB I'll just consign it to spam.

People sometimes look at me like I'm mad when I inform that I don't have a Facebook account. It's like a bloody cyber-cult if you ask me LOL!

Yeah, FO FB! :D

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

catch-as-catch-can, but you won't catch me! ;)

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If you do decide to use a social network site then its best to just create an e-mail account just for that. If you don't you may find yourself sifting through a flood of e-mails.

14. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Facebook is good for one thing: disinformation. You can set-up a FB account and have your friends think you're now in Miami, when - in fact - your in Seattle in the rain. People have different reasons for wanting to propogate disinformation, but Facebook makes it much easier to pull off. To me, it's Facebook's only redeeming quality.

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I fully agree with that! :thumb:
    Facebook=Virtual Life=Phony Life :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.