F11 is there something else?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by djmorgan, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

Some computer manufacturers such as HP/Compaq use F11 for boot time access to their system restore features.

Using secure zone with its F11 might/will cause conflict as with new computers you don't get the OS disks but the programs are kept on a hidden proprietory partition it is important to always have access in time of say repair install of the OS.

So anyway to get Acronis F11 moved to another keystroke.o_O?

Thanks

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, djmorgan

A Ti Image is to save you having to do that. :)

I remember reading about this question before with answer, but I can not find it the search word are to broad. :(

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. djmorgan

Yes I know TI will save me that, there are just some HP bloatware I don't want to load yet but might later :D :D :cool:

As Acronis use a proprietory MBR for F11 I'd suspect it's the same one that HP etal, use so I'm not expecting much here :blink:

And what would it be, F10 is for my bios F12 is for boot selection - F8 and F5 is for Safe modes... F1 help we seem to be running out of numbers, maybe a new generation of keyboards up to F24 is in order..

I tried to search for F11 in this forum but got 0

David.

4. TheQuest

Hi, djmorgan

See if there is an answer in these posts of a wild search using F11*

Take Care,

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  5. djmorgan

Doesn't really matter

6. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

The F11 key for HP/Compaq and other companies is normaly a bios feature, you press F11 when the system starts during post (Power On Self Test) to enter the recovery program.
    When the F11 key for Acronis True Image is used it should be pressed after post and before the OS starts loading so this shouldn't cause any conflict.

7. djmorgan

No, No, No..... F11 after post and before windows start, same place Acronis F11 wants to be felt.

HP has a recovery partition hidden on the HDD, simular to the way SZ is setup

HP also use a modified MBR to allow access to the recovery partition from where you can do a destructive restore ie. return to factory settings, perform a program restore or repair the OS.

So question remains open awaiting an answer *puppy*

8. TheQuest

Hi, djmorgan

It is not holding the link because of the *.

If you do a search using F11* the search will find 54 threads with many posts.

Take Care,

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi David,

Why not create an image of your current setup, including the HP hidden partition(s) and archive this to, say, DVD before creating an Acronis Secure Zone and activating the Startup Recovery Manager? You would then always have access to HP's "bloatware", either by mounting the image or via the Files and Folders restore option.

Subsequent images could then take care of your system recovery requirement as I doubt very much that you would ever want to return your computer to its day one condition (which would be the case if you used HP's F11 recovery feature) :).

Regards

10. djmorgan

Yes I might do that, mirror the 100Gb drive, my only concern is that HP apparently Tattoo the HDD somehow to protect their Quick Play application I don't know if this will affect mirroring back should the need arise, as I have found even putting in a legitimate XP Pro disk to do a repair install results in a message stating that the disk is not the right one for this machine!

I guess that means if ever I was going to reinstall the OS it would have to be as a fresh install however HP don't make the S-ATA drivers available except in there recovery partition... sought of a catch 22.

This now seems to be the way with most new computers especially laptops. :blink:

Anyway, I have the TI recovery disk and I mirror the primary each week so I am covered for those times I want to restore back, which I did twice last week due to a corrupted MBR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.