F-Secure's own engine.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MalwareDie, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

How strong is F-Secure's own engine? Not Kaspersky's. F-Secure AV only picks up a few more samples than KAV in av-comparatives tests. Is this just because of overlap? If it is maybe they should consider focussing on adding signatures for things that Kaspersky misses or strengthen generics/heuristics or something

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure's own engine is just heuristics.
    it also uses ad aware and norman sandbox to detect the extra.
    i think so anyway if not someone can correct me.
    lodore

3. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

O ok thanks

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Norman Sandbox in F-Secure? :eek::eek:

No, F-Secure has two of its own engines, and Norman Sandbox is not there in any of them. The Libra engine is F-Secure's own engine, and it mainly contains signatures for ITW malware, so it does not have a very high detection rate. The Orion engine is F-Secure's heuristics engine, and at this point it is only marginally better than Kaspersky's own heuristics engine. However, as F-Secure does not allow users to select the engines during scanning, it is impossible to know for sure.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it does have norman sandbox read about http://www.f-secure.com/deepguard
    deepguard
    if you right click the f-secure icon and click on infomation it says normansandbox copyright norman. which means they use some of the norman sandbox in deepguard.
    lodore

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes firecat,

f-secure uses norman sandbox aswell as their own heuristics, sandbox according to pages on f-secures website, is heuristics and HIPS working together with f-secures own.

i must say, ive tried it and it works extremely well, they have added more but it is less bloated than 2006, but still bloated to many others on the market. I like f-secure though :)

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Wow! Thats new to me, I didn't expect F-Secure to have it. Pretty good! I also heard that Sandbox works best on-demand instead of real-time. Is this true?

Sorry lodore, I was mistaken.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes it is very good, and works super i must say.

i thought real-time was good with it, blocked things such as the jumper leaktest, and give some great info on it, and what it was trying to do.

it does work seemlessly with f-secures own heuristics and adwares engine etc, and offers super protection, it really does.

cons: slower boot up
    around 50mb ram instead of 12mb of kasperskys etc

i have always preferred f-secure over kaspersky, personally owning a few licences in past years with them, and the addition of norman sandbox intrigued me, if i had not bought my dr.web licence, i would have probably renewed once again with f-secure.

i now have 3 licences for 3 machines, which i think is definatly enough, and i wont be spending anymore money, well... not for another 8 months, thats for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.