F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree but just being open. If you expect blazing speed, it isnt quite there, but it damn sure will protect you.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but at the price you can get it for today at least, there is not a better deal going. I love the AV, the suite just doesnt give me that much more. But its firewall did a good rating from Matousecs.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah i really like the suite but it just seems to heavy for me. i wish it wasnt... id buy up a few right now.. ill maybe try it again soon and see one more time

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

did you try installing without parental control, its an option at the start of the installation?

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Chris,
    Have you found that the parental control slows the system or makes it heavy?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, dont install it if you really dont need it Jerry.

the option at the start of the installation is there for a reason :)

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks,
    When I used FSIS I did not install it, as I have no children at home. I just wondered. I suppose it has to go through some checks to be able to do its job if PC is used.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. zfactor

i will try it again as i dont remember if i installed it or not last time

9. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I respect the opinions of those that have chosen to use F-Secure but in my opinion, and keep in mind I am a well known minimalist, this is complete crap. F-Secure uses way to many resources; 480 meg, and a total of 100+ megs of RAM total as compared to Dr Web. That's nuts!. Agreed, it might give great protection. But tell me how it is better than what I use; Dr Web, Rootkit unhooker, LnS, SSM Pro, system hardeners (Seaconfig, Secureit, hardenit). If it is better, does that outweight the costs? I don't think so.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

vista reports only a 4 percent increase in ram compared to drweb, however I might agree that drweb is much lighter, but this is to be expected.

I think your setup isn't really good
    n8, your using a rootkit program when you have drweb installed? Totally not needed

And lns, I would never use this, especially not on vista.

Also your setup definatly is
    more pricey than what you can get fsecure for.

after my machine being on for a few hours, ram usage shows as follows:

less than 50mb (inc VM)

of course, this will increase with an on-demand scanner running, but this is the case with all AV's.

if you mean just of a ram usage program, it shows as 37.4mb.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  11. n8chavez

What complimentary apps do you think I need?

True, but you can never be too careful.

Is there a better, and lighter firewall than LnS, especially with Phantom's latest ruleset? Also, I do not use Vista.

True, but F-Secure comes with other costs than just financial. And it's not like I got all these apps at once, rather slowly over time.

When I make statements like I did I always look at the total numbers when judging the system effects of on app versus another. As you know, looking at single process numbers versus single process numbers can be very deceiving, as is the case here.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I can't argue the technicalities of the various programs.
    However, in my simple thinking, I don't care how many processes are running, or the resources an application uses as long as it does not bother me when I use the computer.

I never found FSIS slow except at start and that was over within 2 minutes. After that it always operated without any problems. I believe it is one of the very best security applications, and would use it again without qualms.

Please do not take this as flame or critical, but I fail to understand the "hang-up" about the number of processes or resource usage when it does not cause significant degradation of one's computer.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. n8chavez

I completely understand where you're coming from. But I believe it is possible to be "secured" without giving up an arm and a leg, reffering to system resources of course. Ithink your system should best be used by apps that are there for either productivity or entertainment, not soley for the use protection applications. Is that not the point of having a computer in the first place?

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I can't argue with that, but as long as my system resources allow me to do what I want to do on the computer, why should I care about resource usage?
    I have never noticed a problem with any program slowing me down after it starts and smooths out.

I ask this as I often see criticisms as to the number of processes used or the resources used. I have honestly wondered if this is just some hang up some have? I never check such things, and admit my lack of expertise in this field.

When you used FS did it prevent or seriously slow your machine so that you could not use it as you desired?

Regards,
    Jerry

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Firecat, I think I know why and it should not be happening. I notified F-Secure and am not going to post how it happened just for the fact it isnt fair to them.

17. s4u

s4u Registered Member

18. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

The numbers you reported are not real in 2008 version.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think they are real anyway,

this would mean drweb uses 380mb of ram. o_O

20. zfactor

i am almost positive the poster meant hdd space was 480 and ram was 100

21. lab

lab Registered Member

If you have Charter cable, you can download there suite for free.

22. n8chavez

That's exactly what I meant. And, I have tried F-Secure. My shock and the 'heaviness' of it is what prompted me to post. But, it is good to see that Chris has regained he sense. I guess everyone is entitled to be a bit curious every now and then.

23. n8chavez

They must be, because that was the version i was using. It is the only version I have ever had installed.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if that is exactly what you meant, how can you say drweb uses 380mb of ram? o_O

its not a matter of regaining sense, i like f-secure very much, ive owned licences with them before drweb, so ;)

i still have my different snapshots, fsecure being one of them :)

but i will always be a drwebber, unless something upsets my system or whatever :rolleyes:

25. n8chavez

I think you are confusing what I meant; F-Secure, on my system used 480 megs of HD space and was 100+ megs of RAM heavier than it was with Dr web installed.

Well, that's good to know. I thought you knew something about Dr Web, or the direction they're going, that we didn't and thus you switched. I was a bit suprised to see you switch with v5 right around the corner. I just bought a two year license yesterday, for $31, and was pleasantly suprised when they extended my license by 100 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.