F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Oleg, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

How good Is F-Secure and how light Is it?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

F-Secure is a good antivirus but light it is not. It pulls a fair amount of resources.

3. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

4. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

Hi,

F-Secure uses these four Engines;

AVP: Kaspersky
    Libra: F-Secure's Signature's Based Engine
    Orion: F-Secure's Heuristics Engine
    Draco: F-Secure's Adware Engine (Ad-Aware based)

F-secure also has the Rootkit Scanner 'Blacklight' that is supposed to be able to detect the Premium version of HackerDefender! I really like F-secure, as its very simple to configure, as well as having good protection. Its only down side I have found is that it runs so many prcocesses that really are not needed compared to alternatives like Kav and Nod32 and even McAfee.

You really need to download a trial and test it for yourself, as I found its not for everyone!

Hope this helps

5. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

A totally satisfied F-Secure user here. True, it does have a lot of running processes but I actually find this kind of an approach much smarter than having the core/dependencies in single or obvious modules.

Look at it this way, suppose a nasty piece of malware does manage to get in and manages to disable the Firewall, but the core AV is still up and functional and manages to nab the malware and so on.

Please note that I have used the above ^^ scenario purely as an example, and F-Secure hasnt let me get infected for the 3 years I've been using their products :D

I used to use only the AV part of it till 6 months ago and it has nabbed all nasties that have attempted to infect, and now that I use the integrated Firewall that comes with the Client Security Suite, I can vouch for the Firewall as well becasue it has proved to be rather effective by blocking numerous malware probes, and the newly added HTTP scanner too has stopped the enemy at the gates ;)

I do not notice ANY kind of a slowdown on my system (a humble 1.66 GHz machine with a GB of RAM) .. so yeah, test it and then conclude for yourself :)

6. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

However adding many new similarly named processes may actually be quite confusing and make it harder for the user to identify malware processes.

Adding 15-20+ processes is imho ridiculous. tested this in school by installing F-Secure 2006 Internet Security Suite. 19 processes before, 40 after installing :p

7. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

That's the best part about a product like F-Secure... the user need'nt bother with checking malware processes... it does NOT let anything through.. it hasn't in my case, neither with my many friends who too use F-Secure and I havent read/heard about or found any such *reported* incident of F-Secure getting eaten up by any malware *puppy*

I guess that's enough justification, apart from my own all-positive experiences about this product, for me to say what I said above :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.