F-Secure WOW

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks Graystoke, for the link, and also thank you midway40 for the instruction to solve the problem.

Best,
    Jerry

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

No problem Jerry :)

To tell the truth, I noticed mine was the same way when I read this thread. After playing with it for about 10 mins I discovered how to enable those options. So it was a learning experience for me as well, lol.

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thank you midway40. It's a good thing I got distracted with something else and didn't remove F-Secure before I saw your post. :D

4. midway40

Graystoke, I'm glad for that because I thought you had already uninstalled it by now :)

5. midway40

BTW, if you had selected High, the options would be still grayed out but changed from Normal such as "scan all files" would be on and in email "scan all attachments" would be selected.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if the 'Scan my computer' option differs from the 'Scan hard drives' option, and if so, might this be a solution for my FSIS 2007 stalling half way through a full system scan? I have uninstalled it now, but if I could find a solution to this problem, I would like to continue using it.

7. midway40

I think when using the "Scan Hard Drives" option is used, it only checks for viruses where "Full Computer Check" also includes spyware and rootkits.

8. Simon6776

OK, I suppose it was a silly question, as the files it sticks on are on the hard drive, so it would still scan them anyway. I have sent in a support request, so hopefully, when they get round to it, I might get a response. I hope they do a little better than last time, when then basically wanted me to uninstall half the other stuff on my PC, which I wasn't prepared to do.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

You guys are complaining about a mini $80.00 for the F-Secure Suite, try moving to Australia, and then you have to cough up $219.00 for 2yrs :blink:

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AU Dollars or US Dollars? o_O

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

AU Dollars :blink:

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No reason to waste money. If you feel an urge to spend, donate to fsf.org.
    Mrk

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'm trialing FS AV 2007 and I like it :thumb: however...

Is there any way to reduce the long boot time? Also, I noticed 13 processes added with FS :eek: ! even though these don't seem slow down my cube, I wonder if they are all needed.
    On the other hand, the updates schedule is set to autocheck every 2 hours by default, can this be changed?

Cheers

14. Simon6776

It's a faster boot up time on mine, than Norton, by several minutes, but KIS is the quickest start up I have found.

I am also using FSIS 2007 - where did you find the 2 hour option? Mine seems to check on start up, then whenever it likes!

The 13 processes are a bit of a shock, but they all seem to be very light.

15. Macstorm

I'm trialing FSAV 2007. On the main FS window, under 'updates' settings (cannot change this) it is set to check on the next 2 hours from the last check (both last/next check times are displayed there). Yes, here also the program check for updates on every boot.

Here, on every system start up and right after when desktop shows, the 'F' icon on systray takes about 30 secs. to appear, how is yours?

I agree KAV has the quickest start up from all AV's I tried. I also noticed FSAV is a little bit heavier than KAV. :)

16. Simon6776

Sorry, I misread your post. I am using the suite, rather than the stand alone AV, so things will probably be a bit different. I don't think there's any update check interval options on the suite.

Yes, the system tray icon does take a short while to appear, as does the splash start up logo. I suppose it also depends on how many other programs you have starting up. I have quite a few, including Mozilla Sea Monkey, my Bluetooth Adapter, and Mail Washer, along with all the other usual stuff, and mine takes about 90 seconds from hitting the start button, to seeing the desktop. With Norton, it was taking over 4½ minutes!

FSIS is heavier than KIS, but as I have said in other threads, Windows navigation, and Internet browsing seem to be slightly quicker, as does my internet speed, for some reason.

I am a little concerned at the moment, though, as the updates seem to be failing. Perhaps their server is down? :doubt:

17. Macstorm

Thanks Simon,

No problem. Yes, they are a bit different for sure :)

We don't need to talk about Norton anymore :ouch:

As I said before, here, right after the desktop is showed, the 'F' icon takes about 30 secs. to load on systray, I guess it's average time.

I expect to have the same performance! :)

No problem updating here ATM, let's hope it's a temporary server down there.

Thanks Simon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.