F-Secure Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

When I start my computer, F-Secure checks for updates, but the first one never seems to accomplish the update. It says that the check was successful, but I note that the signatures have not updated. Sometimes it takes 3 times to download the updates.

This AM after the 2nd check it did update, but the download took over 20 minutes. I am on DSL, and was using wireless on my laptop where F-Secure resides.

So far, the biggest reservation I have about F-Secure is the inefficiency of updates when compared to other AVs. KAV6 normally updates in seconds.

Is my experience with F-Secure abnormal? The long times to download the updates are not satisfactory at this point in time. I'll watch it and see if it was just the servers this AM, or whether this is "a preview of things to come."

Jerry

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have never experienced the situation you are having with the downloads. It always seemed to work very well. I do have cable internet but that shouldn't really be a factor as compaired to you DSL concerning downloads. I wish off hand I knew what the problem could be.

bigc

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

BigC,
    Thanks for the reply. I suspect that my experience is not the norm, but have no idea what the reasons are.
    I'll just continue to march, and see where it goes. That is the only minus I have encountered with the application.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

There are some ways for uptade in F-secure settings. I can't remember clearly but one way uses polite protocol and other one direct http. Play with them.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

mrhero,
    Thanks. I wanted to check how long the update would take on dial-up this AM.
    As it turned out, it only took 3 minutes.
    I am not sure why some have taken so long. I'll just have to check and see how it does. Obviiously, that time is not excessive.

I do not know enough to understand what you told me.
    [but one way uses polite protocol and other one direct http. Play with them.]

Thanks again for the reply.
    Jerry

6. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Sorry my english isn't good. I tried to say there is two way for update in F-secure. One way uses polit protocol, other way uses direct http connection. In default f-secure uses polite protocol but you can change it in update settings.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi,
    It wasn't your English, but my lack of knowing what a polite protocol is. I am not very literate in this area. I will look into it, and maybe that will be the best solution.
    Thanks for the help.
    Jerry

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

F-Secure's support page says that dial-up users should use the HTTP protocol and not the Polite Protocol.

And in this case, I think the Polite Protocol means something based on UDP.

The recommended setting for most users for F-Secure updates is 'Automatic: Use polite protocol, fallback to HTTP'.

See here: http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/supportissue/fsis2006/updates_q05.shtml

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Firecat,
    I a using auto. Thanks for the link. I suspect that the long download time yesterday was abnormal, and especially since it updated so fast on dial-up this morning.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.