F-Secure Real Time Scanning Sluggish

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xMarkx, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I have a computer with F-Secure Internet Security 2010 (which is provided by my ISP for no extra cost. Since it's provided by my ISP, it's renamed to "Shaw Secure 2010").

Lately, I've noticed that the computer has been rather sluggish. I know F-Secure is a heavy suite, but it has been really bad the past few months. (Although I did initially notice an improvement in performance with the 2010 version).

The most annoying thing is that opening Internet Explorer takes forever. I tried fixing this issue by excluding iexplore.exe in real time scanning. It makes the opening of Internet Explorer a little faster, but not as fast as my other machines with NOD32.

Is it alright if I keep iexplore.exe excluded for better performance or am I making myself more vulnerable to infection? Will pages that I have open in Internet Explorer still be scanned in real-time? (This is what I really want to know).

Also, is there anything else I can do to improve performance (eg: settings within F-Secure I can tweak, or other tweaks outside the program).

Thanks!

2. wohlshire

wohlshire Registered Member

Hi xMarkx,

For your question, yes Browsing Protection will be handling that part even if iexplore.exe is excluded. However, excluding iexplore.exe from RTS may pose your machine more vulnerable to infection since quite a few malwares have been using that path and filename, %programfiles%\internet explorer\iexplore.exe, as infection vector.

It would be better if you can open a case to our Technical Support via:
    http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/support/
    Include an fsdiag report so that they can check thoroughly why there is a sluggish performance on your pc.

Br,
    Jose
    F-Secure

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Am I allowed to get support from F-Secure though if I use Shaw Secure?

Also, 2 more questions:

(1) What is the recommended level for the firewall for the average user? (eg: normal, strict, office, printer/file sharing, etc).

(2) How come under 'Virus and spyware scanning' in Settings -> Computer is the "Scan and remove viruses from web traffic" unchecked by default? (see screenshot) Should it be left unchecked? Is the real time scanner still scanning for viruses while I'm online if it's unchecked?

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I'm also wondering why F-Secure won't show the ratings for search engine results and links in web mail (under Browsing Protection in Settings
    -> Internet). I have those settings checked, so it should be showing. Instead of showing the green check mark, it shows a meaningless image (see screenshot).

Why is it doing this? Is there a fix?

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Would appreciate a response back from you regarding the issues I am having with F-Secure.

Thanks

6. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Many people may find my opinion quite radical but ...

While awaiting someone to answer you can fix the problem yourself very fast - get rid of F-Secure's modification (Shaw whatever...) . There are many applications out there that provide security for no cost and they are lighter than F-Secure , and may be better malware killers.

You have only one reason to keep that animal that slows you down - you are either in love with it (which I doubt) or you are connected with the company and you must keep the application (which I doubt,too) .

As I said , I would proceed with F-Secure uninstallation , reboot and installing another application(s) , unless there is really a must-keep reason to .. keep it. The fact it's free is not a reason to still use it.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you try this suggestion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.