F-Secure F-Secure IS 2006 - can you trim it down / speed it up? Alternatives?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Due to the ubiquituousness of F-Secure suite around where I live, I have to deal quite often with friends who are really annoyed by it.

That software really slows down even otherwise usable computers.

Do you know of ways to make it snappy by configuring it?

Is it possible to prune down the multitude of F-Secure components (almost ten!)?

Can you speed it up, so that it doesn't bog down the system?

Or do I just recommend to all my friends: throw it in the trash and replace it with much lighter/faster Internet suite called 'X'?

And if so, what brand X (suite, not just AV) would you recommend?

It must run tolerably on a 900Mhz Celeron with 512MB of RAM.

F-Secure does not.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, to start with i have same problems with f-secure and am loooking for alternitives. if you q]want a suite try kaspersky 6.0 or bitdefender 10.

i will not put much so i can get in before the trend person comes in:)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Although some suites do run lighter than others all of them I have tried still would be a strain on a machine with those spechs. You really would be better off useing seperate apps. Nod,f-prot Avira run pretty light for an av. kerio 2.1.5 for a firewall is about as light as you can get. and there are several antispyware apps that run light you might try. but getting a suite that won't affect your comps performance with those spechs. is going to be hard if not impossible.

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

For a couple of years I ran NOD32, BOClean and Outpost on a laptop with exactly the same specs as that. Outpost was probably the heaviest of the three, but NOD32 and BOClean worked just fine. Currently that laptop performs only very light surfing and print serving duties, and is happily running CA eTrust (extremely light, IMO) and the CA-branded version of ZoneAlarm. These are probably adequate for careful users.

Another approach which may help a bit: reduce the number of other, non-security processes and services running.

5. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Thanks for the comments.

I'll probably go the separates route.

I'm not up-to-date on F-Prot. Is it "set and forget" type of AV, or does it require a lot of tinkering or power-user mentality to work properly?

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

F-prot is a very easy av to use, set it and it takes care of it's self. there is a new version of f-prot in beta now which should be out very soon and if you buy the curreny version you can upgrade to the newer one when it is released for free as long as your subscription is still valid :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.