F-Secure AV 2006 Update to 2007?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cdr, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Does anyone know if the free F-Secure AV 2006, from the German Magazine CHIP (08/06), can be updated/upgraded to F-Secure AV 2007 version, and will the current subscription number work with it? I realize this is "looking a gift-horse in the mouth," but thought I'd ask.;) I like the 2006 version very much and had planned to purchase the program when the gratis subscription ends 7/16/2007. However, in the meantime, I would like to use the 2007 version to make sure it runs just as well as the 2006 before I purchase it. Thanks in advance!:D

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I emailed them about fsis2006 free upgrade to fsis2007 the other day and i should get a reply on Monday.

f-secure 2007 versions use less processes and less resource. than there 2006 counterparts.

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I believe upgrade is free. All you need to do is install the latest version and use your existing license key. :)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it seems so firecat. but im gonna wait to see what f-secure say. since i told them and i quote "someone on a forum used there fsis2006 key on the fsis2007 trial and the key worked" i hope i can get them to give in and tell me i can use it :)
    but if not i can use it anyway

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The upgrade from f-secure av 2006 to 2007 works fine, i installed it straight over the top of the old one with no problems. The only problem is its huge resource use, 1 service alone is consuming over 70mb of ram. This is definitely one program for newer computers, the poor laptop i had it installed on ran very sluggish indeed.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

70mb ouch!

but i will try and see from my own experience.

8. farmerlee

Yeah on my laptop the main service was using around 70mb, add in all the other services and i'd say its up around 80-90mb total ram used which imo is far too much for an antivirus/antispyware program to be using.

Compare that to Antivir premium+firewall which only uses around 10mb and the new AVG pro AV amazingly only uses around 2mb of ram.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats why in December if not before im getting the antivir suite.
    10mb thats sweet

10. farmerlee

Yeah i'm hoping antivir+firewall gets released soon, it will be an excellent all in one program for my laptop.

Heres the resource use for it, just a tad over 10mb.

Attached Files:

• AV.JPG
      AV.JPG
      File size:
      33 KB
      Views:
  11. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Actually, I did not have any of the luck that Farmerlee had, but rather had so many problems trying to install the FSAV2007 that I gave up and re-installed FSAV2006. I kept getting error messages saying things about "runners" being missing; "fspex.exe" missing some characters, etc. :eek: Given that FSAV2006 is running smoothely and peacefully on this desktop, and given the high resource usage that has been pointed out, I'll just be grateful for the gratis 2006 version!:) I appreciate everyone's comments!

12. farmerlee

Are you using XP? The laptop i have it installed on is running windows 2000 so that could explain things. Did you try to install 2007 over 2006? Or a clean install of 2007?

13. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Farmerlee, I am using XP Home Edition (SP2); 760 MB RAM; 80 GB HD, with 59 GB free space. I installed it over the top of the FSAV2006. I downloaded it from the link that Element5 e-mailed me. But what I found curious was that the icon of the program I downloaded just showed "FS2007." Not "FSAV2007" or anything to indicate whether it was the a/v or the internet suite. Also, I downloaded it over dial-up :)D yes, it took about 4 hours!). I just think that the download probably got corrupted. But, I still am a little bit squeamish about trying it again--because of the major hassle of re-installing version 2006 if it doesn't work, and also about the resource usage of 2007 if it does work.
    Thanks again for your comments!

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

antivir premium+firewall is meant to come out on the 30 or 31 this month but it could be delayed. I cant wait to get that. 3 processes and around 10mb resource usage that sounds great. and then prevx1 or online armor will make a great setup.

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Why don't you start a antivir thread instead of posting here in the F-Sec one?

Gerard

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

because someone talked about antivir here first i think.

oh wait no i did start it i should of created a new thread about it....

17. farmerlee

F-secure products all use the same installation file. What gets installed is dependent on the product key you enter. If you are going to try and install 2007 again i suggest you create a restore point in case anything goes wrong. 2007 may require an active internet connection to install, i'm not too sure.

18. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Farmerlee,
    Just wanted to add that I ultimately did do a clean install of FSAV2007 and it installed just fine! It's working great, and I think the 2007 upgrade is worthwhile.
    Thanks again for your comments!:)

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am in the slow group. I have found the site, but since I am using the CHIPS trial for a year I wonder if I should download the trial or the buy?
    I assume the trial, and then put in my 2006 trial license. Is that correct?

I see that when I register for the trial, I get an email with the download link. I assume that is the way and then enter the CHIP license.

Since Avira did not run well for me, I am eager to try F-Secure 2007. I was pretty well satisfied with the 2006 version, but wanted to try Avira. Now back to trying F-Secure.

I installed it over the 2006 version, and it accepted my license. Good for F-Secure.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  20. farmerlee

Yeah just download the trial version and enter your license details. Worked fine for me however i no longer use it as it resource usage is just too high for my preferences.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

FS 2007 still uses a lot of memory.
    I note that fssm32.exe uses as much as 74,160k. What is that?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hey jerry, autoruns says its f-secure settings and statistics. f-secure manager.

and here it is using 41,772k

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Lodore.
    Mine is presently running at 64,212k. It is always strange to me that something like this would differ so much on different systems.

Best,
    Jerry

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no problem jerry.

it is odd that is is really different on different systems.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If I have correctly identified the running processes via WTM, 2007 FS AV has 12 with a memory usage of around 90,000k. WOW!

Jerry

v

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.