F-Secure Antivirus or Internet Security?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have uninstall avast! Free Antivirus as after I did the latest update, it now freezes my game when I am playing Spades on MSN Games :mad:

I want to try F-Secure as it seems to have some of the best results from AV Comparatives.

I don't need parental control, and from what the tech support agent of F-Secure told me, their Firewall does not slow the browsing down as it is based on the built in Windows Firewall but with some extras :rolleyes:

1- Is it worth it to go for the Internet Security or would the Antivirus + default Windows Firewall suffice?

2- I am afraid that their built in webrep or link scanner (whatever they call it) might slow down browsing, any comments on that?

3- Finalleh, would you personalleh buy the AV only or teh !nternet S3cur!ty?

2. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Read this thread that shows a variety of good and bad experiences.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=332126

If I was you, I would just try the antivirus. That will leave less stuff behind on your computer when you uninstall it. I think there are also F-Secure uninstall tools available.

edit - added info - I have trialed F-Secure Internet Security on a pretty powerful computer and it was heavy for me. You should trial both versions and see what you think.

3. berryracer

Sorry man, I am just a prefectionist unfortunately and always am obsessed with having the best but it's not working out for me.

I will try your suggestions after this try with F-Secure

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Going for a free antivirus does seem like the best bet, considering you have current licences for paid AVs which you no longer use.

If you buy a product, no doubt in a few months time or less you will run into some issues with it and ditch it. If you don't like a free antivirus you can just switch to another free one.

As for performance issues with F-Secure, it's best to download a trial version and see how it goes before spending money. My personal opinion is that you should never buy an antivirus without instaiing the trial version first.

5. berryracer

No 64-Bit version of F-Secure AV, is this bad?

It it ok to run an x86 AV on an x64 bit system?

I know Kaspersky also doesn't have a native 64-bit version of their AV or internet security

This is what I read from a mod on their forums but am not sure of how valid that is:

I want your expert opinion guys.

Right now, I am trying the demo

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Re: No 64-Bit version of F-Secure AV, is this bad?

They aren't saying there isn't any 64bit version. They are just saying having entire program written in 64bit doesn't give any benefits compared to 32bit/64bit combo, so they only have the kernel drivers in native 64bit while the rest of the components are still 32bit.
    Most of AV companies have come to this conclusion, including avast!.

7. berryracer

Re: No 64-Bit version of F-Secure AV, is this bad?

I understand, thanks for the clarification

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'd choose an AV over a IS package anyday.

AV prices are as high as the Suite on any vendor and it's for a reason, they just bundle extra features that won't make your pc less secure, imo ;)

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Q F-Secure Antivirus or Internet Security?
    A It depends on your pocket. If you have the money, Internet Security offers a greater protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.