F-Secure and Mail Washer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Well, I still have F-Secure, and still think it's the best around, for me at least. I have also just installed it on a friends new Dell, in place of the pre-loaded McAfee, and, for the first time, seen the Parental Control in action, which, I have to say, is rather impressive.

However, I have noticed an issue with the OEM version of FSIS 2007, which wasn't apparent in the retail version, and that seems to be with Mail Washer. Since installing FSIS 2007 OEM, and renewing my license, I have had a continuing problem with the FSIS firewall, which seems to randomly block my internet connection for a few seconds, then displays an Internet Shield Malfunction. This often seems to coincide with Mail Washer starting. If I do Start > Run > 'net start fsdfwd', this restarts the Firewall, and all is then OK. After getting little in the way of help from FS support, apart from three suggestions to reinstall the product, I then remembered an issue with Zone Alarm, which didn't like simultaneous checking of multiple email accounts with Mail Washer, so I have changed Mail Washer to sequential checking, and this appears to have rectified the FSIS firewall problem.

Just thought I'd mention this, in case anyone else has the same issue. :)

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi simon,

I have been using FSIS for several months along with Mailwasher free. I have not experienced any problems with it.
    Who knows why some programs work with each other while on other machines the combination does not do well. Don't know of a solution. The F-Secure forums are of no help in my experience, as I have never had a reply from FS reps on it.

Have you contacted either FS support or Firetrust? I think/hope you might be able to solve the problem without too much effort. I like Mailwasher.

edit
    I did not read your post carefully enough, and evidently you have the problem solved. That is good.
    Regards,
    Jerry

3. Simon6776

Hi Jerry,

I think the difference between yours and mine could be that Mail Washer Free only checks one email account, but I have the Pro version, which checks multiple accounts simultaneously, and this is where the problem seemed to be. Changing it to sequential checking (i.e. one at a time) seems to have solved it.

Yes, I haven't used the F-Secure forums since we both met on there, but it's of little use if no one ever replies to posts. I did contact FS Support, but all they could suggest was what seems to be their standard solution to any issue, to re-install the product, which I had already done twice.

Incidentally, I installed FSIS2007 (OEM) on a friends new Dell, in place of the pre-loaded McAfee, and it runs like a dream.

4. cdr

cdr Registered Member

Simon6776,
    I have been using FSIS2007 for a couple of months, and I also use MailWasher Pro 5.3, which checks a main e-mail account and a sub-account. I don't know if this is the same as checking multiple accounts as you describe, but I have not experienced any problems between these two programs.

5. Simon6776

Oh, there's a 5.3? I wasn't informed of an update. Usually, I receive an email with a link to the new version. :doubt:

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Simon,
    I have 5.3 also. I have the pro version on my desktop, along with Avira. However I did use FS for awhile on that machine, and experienced no problems with MW. I have used the sequential download for awhile. I am not sure why I changed to that, except I must have read about the potential problem on one of these forums.

Have a great day.
    Jerry

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I've be useing Mail Washer Pro for more than 5 years, great softwear.

8. Simon6776

Yes, I started using it when it first came out, and it was Freeware. I was so impressed, I made a donation, and have received free upgrades, including to the Pro version, ever since. I certainly have no complaints about the program, which is probably one of the most useful utilities anyone could have. I would certainly bin any security software that didn't agree with MW, but fortunately, it doesn't seem as though I will have to, now F-Secure seems to be working OK.

9. pbernard

pbernard Registered Member

I don't have F-Secure, but I do have Mail Washer Pro for nearly 3 years now. Great Program!
    Pat

10. Simon6776

Hi Jerry,

I have the new version now. :)

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Simon,
    Are we crazy for liking F-Secure so well? I have found it, FSIS, runs with less trouble than most others. It just runs.
    My only complaint is that it takes a few minutes to update, but that is very much offset by its lack of problems, and the great security it gives.

Best,
    Jerry

12. Simon6776

I don't know, Jerry, but of all the security suites I have tried, I still find FSIS the most favourable, even with it's little quirks, and slowish start up. Every other one I have tried has something against it, or refuses to work with some other utility I use. As you say, F-Secure plods along innocuously, and does what it says on the tin. It just works. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.