F Secure and frisk software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by solarpowered candle, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Helloo, I wondering if anyone may know if F secure anti virus is the same as Frisk software ,
    Thank you, robert

2. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi Robert,
    Frisk Software International produces F-Prot Antivirus.
    F-Secure Corporation produces F-Secure Antivirus.

If there's a hidden relationship between the companies, maybe someone else knows that.

Douglas

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Solarpowered Candle from Firefighter!

F-Secure uses Orion, F-Prot and Kaspersky engines together, as I know. That's the relationship. :D

4. solarpowered candle

Thankz Douglas and firefighter for your replies. I have been reading up at Frisks home page and have found it very interesting , as they have been in the anti-virus business and anti spam business since 1989. They produce the F pro anti-virus engine. Why I posted this was to see if anyone had been trying their anti-virus product, as it looks good. costs $25 with a fee trial. There is the F- pro for Dos for free also.
    I were kind of confused, as its almost the same as F secure , but a lot less cost ,
    They say , that amongst the companies using their F Pro Anti-virus engine are F Secure corporation
    Command software systems
    Smith Micro
    If the scanning is the same as F Secure then it would be a very good deal and most affordable protection.
    If any one has any further knowing about the quality of F Pro- anti virus it would be appreciated ,
    Kind regards , Robert

Their site is http://www.f-prot.com/products/index.html

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I have a registered copy of F-Prot Win as back up and can tell you its a very good product, the Dos version is great to and sometimes a Dos scanner is a real lifesaver.
    I have used F-Secure before V5.32 and 5.4, its also a very good scanner although at higher resource usage, both come highly recommended, although I'm happiest with my Nod32 ;)

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have been using F-Prot AntiVirus for Windows for nearly 2 years as a backup scanner. It is cheap compared to other AV programs, has very little effect on system resources, has a very quick scan engine(although not as quick as NOD32) and has excellent virus detection abilities both in the wild and with zoo viruses( see some recent tests over at www.av-test.org). The only problem I have had is that one or two times on WinXP Pro the updater part of the program would not work but I simply manually updated the files. Support even sent me a new updater when I contacted them and I have found the support overall excellent and very quick in responding, the few times I have e-mailed them. Overall I would highly recommend this AV program. :D

I have no knowledge of F-Secure except it has a good reputation but it is expensive, particularly when compared with the likes of F-Prot.

7. solarpowered candle

Thank you Tin Ribs and Blackcat for the info. I will download the trial and see how it flows . $ and cents are always a consideration for me and if a product does the job as well as one thats twice the price then I will be into it. I am using KAV lite and I have no problems with any virus or trojon so far and it is a good duel defence for such ,and malware, according to the Wizard) However it is a bit heavy on my systen occassionally if i run it as a resident monitor. Hence my wishing to look into a good compliment to it. Thankz again

8. minacross

minacross Registered Member

so which is better?? F-secure or F-prot ?? o_O (form virus detection/disinfection point of view)

9. solarpowered candle

Gee Theres an interesting security suite at frisks
    that combines F Pro anti virus called "check it security suite." It says it has a Utilities and diagnostics
    Net optimiser
    Ad Blocker
    Firewall
    F Pro anti virus

The utilities are from Smith micro. (unfortunately no trial pariod ) As iv had to dump my KAV antihacker Im looking for a firewall lo
    Have you Tinribs or Blackcat tried this out yet

Sorry Minniecross I do not have any knowing on that one but am interested in the F pro as a compliment to my kaspersky lite (albeit it I am really happy with the KAV lite as it does virus -trojon- malware all in one . Its just a teeeeeensie bit heavy )

10. Blackcat

I have no knowledge of the security suite you mentioned but would recommend either Kerio as a freeware firewall or if you are feeling flush after dumping AntiHacker try LookNStop. I purchased this firewall recently and it has a very small footprint and is very easy to configure for newbies; you simply load the rule set(s) provided. Highly recommended and they are well supported by the Forum here and by Frederic(the owner) who responds to queries very quickly. Mickey the Man has also a new forum for LookNStop which he has just setup.

I was also disappointed by the resources needed to run KAV( I have the personal version) and run it now as a backup scanner. I use Dr Web now as my running scanner and again it leaves a very small footprint on your system. In addition it has just released from the beta stage a nice little pop3 scanner for your e-mail which is a free addition to the main program.

My recommendation is to download trial versions of F-Prot and Dr Web and see which ones you like. But I would also recommend to monitor the installs with either Total install( a free program) or something like Norton cleansweep as after you have finished it should uninstall all of the entries made. (Don't forget to unload KAV lite before booting up with the new AV Scanner).

Or you could simply wait for NOD32 to come out of the present beta. Overall you will not be disappointed by LookNStop or F-Prot/Dr Web. Good Hunting.

11. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I haven't tried 'check-it' utilities either, I agree with BlackCat, download a trial of F-Prot Win and DrWeb and try them out (one at a time) and see which you like, they both are very good scanners and the heuristics of DrWeb are first class (if a little overhot sometimes)
    Both are a reasonable price too. Hope that helps. ;)

12. Blackcat

Totally agree with TinRibs. In addition if you like Dr Web they have a very good run through here in the AV Section how to set up the scanner and the guard of this AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.