F-Secure and Ad Aware Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Now that FSIS uses the Kaspersky spyware engine, is it therefore safe to combine Ad Aware Pro with FSIS, with or without Ad-Watch active? Has anyone used this combination, and suffered any negative issues? After a lengthy dilemma, FSIS 2007.1 is currently my chosen security suite, and Ad-Aware has always been a favoured adware / spyware scanner, which I would like to re-install, but don't want to risk screwing up FSIS by doing so. :doubt:

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Have the Ad-Aware engine been excluded from F-Secure? If not, then there is no need to keep the (separate) Ad-Aware application, since F-Secure already has the same engine.

3. Simon6776

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

f-secure has ad-ware engine built inside, no need to have adware pro installed if you use f-secure.

5. Simon6776

Right, so just to clarify, it has both Ad Aware and Kaspersky components, yes?

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep :)

and norman components too, its secure ... f-secure.

7. Simon6776

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

additional spyware backup, doesn't the av-comparitives tests show that no additional spyware program is needed, detection for most was always 95-100%

so, if these tests are good enough.... why pay money for an extra program, why waste space and computer resources on this program?

sure there are free ones, but as said.. in the latest test, it shows its not needed.

9. Simon6776

Yes, although FSIS receives mixed opinions about spyware removal, on a clean machine (which mine is), detection rates are very good, so the sensible approach, as you say, is to save system resources, and trust it to do it's job. http://www.avfu59.dsl.pipex.com/smileys/thumb.gif

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think years back, it was needed to have an antivirus with a seperate spyware program, but now i dont think its needed at all.

so i wonder, what is the future for spyware programs, ..... merging with antivirus companys it looks like, some are already doing this.

11. Simon6776

But it is going against the grain for a lot of folks on here, who swear by multi-layer protection, and it is still true (isn't it?) that on an infested machine, scanning with multiple spyware apps turns up different findings. I did a scan with A² fairly recently (before I reinstalled FSIS), and it found something KIS hadn't spotted.

Oh, just one other question, C.S.J., does the 'Scan hard drives' option also scan for spyware? My reason for asking is that the full system check still doesn't work on my machine.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes it will, scan harddrives is just to scan ie. your C:/ and not your cd-roms.

or whichever you want.....

13. Simon6776

Thanks for that. Puts my mind at rest. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to select which drives to scan, but I did do a scan the other night, and the Scan Hard Drives option did scan both of my hard drives, as it says on the tin.

I'm quite happy with it now, and will probably renew it in May, even though I will then have to use an OEM version, but I guess it's the same, just with 'OEM' on the interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.