F-SECURE 6 month free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Labrie, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

This antivirus has a 6 month trial for microsoft users...is it worthy?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

f-secure is a good antivirus program, but it is a little heavy on the resource use. It might not be the best choice for an older computer. it is also a little bit pricey also.

bigc

3. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

gonna give it a try...actually i am using etrust which is pretty good and lighty...but nothing like nod32 ;)

4. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

F-secure IS has a nice firewall too, just in case...

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This free offer has just started to appear on CD's/DVD's in several of the most popular UK Computer Magazines.

Worth giving it a try, if you are near to renewal of your present AV or looking for a replacement. But, as noted, maybe a better option on newer computers.

Although it does not mean much, both F-Secure AV and the Internet Suite have won the 'Best Buy' award in a number of magazines here very recently. Even beating the big 2 retail AV's which generally always won these 'prizes'. Maybe the tide is turning :D

6. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Oh man this Av is really a pain in the butt!

Almost 2 hours to install it...fortunally just a few minutes to uninstall. I stick with etrust and i dont care if f-secure catches virus from 1982...hehe...still dont have so many enemies around.

Besides why they make you install a cloned of ad-aware...i already have that one...i think every user does...not sense at all. There were 10 or more process running. This is a total nosense av.

Anyway...here´s the link for the one whe wants to have this monster in their computer:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

:D

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Can you provide any more details here?

Did you uninstall previous AV's? Why did it take 2 hours to install? Did this time include the download time? Have you a 'newish' computer? Were there any error messages?

Any extra information may be of help to other members who may be thinking of trying this download.

8. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I used to run F-secure and yes I found it took a long time to install even on broadband as when you have downloaded the program and start to install it does big updates (program updates) again and the conection always seems to be slow.

However once installed it is excellent AV software with very god support. It uses theire own Orion/Libra engine and KAV engine so has very high detection. I believe they use there own engine so if they receivve a fast spreading worm they can add directly to there own engine rather than waiting to import KAV defs (Not that Kav updates are slow :D )

It is excellent software but I agree not for the dial up user. The backweb updater is also very good and it alerts you to new virus outbreaks through a pop window.

Just my 2 pence.

Cheers

Jlo

9. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Oh ok...since my job no requires too much from me now it will be a pleasure to explain :p

My computer: Intel, pentium 4, 2,66 GHz, 512 mb ram

1-Well you get a link via email to download a 7mb file.

2-Then begins the story...coz when you think you are intalling your actually downloading multiple big files...particulary one with 40 mb size. One of the downloads failed due to server problems....but finally could manage to download it after trying and trying.

3.i think the total download should be about 70 mb or more...sorry i didnt count it. My connection is 300 kpbs.

4.After all this painfull download begins the real installation...here not much problems...but i have to reboot several times...but after what happened before this was just a pleasure.

5.Well the interface look pretty cool and easy to handle...my surprise was when i saw that f-secure anti spyware is ad-aware..lol...the pro-version i guess.

6.Anyway i dindt wanted in my computer when i saw all those process running everywhere...hehe...oh man what an invasion! So i got rid off this beast :D

Regards.

10. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Im sure that f-secure has a much better detection rate than etrust, or even nod32, but i love well balanced products...and i dont think that f-secure fits my needs when we talk of functionality and system resources.

Cheers comrade.

11. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

F-Secure kicks - has KAV engine and two others - so unbeatable. runs fine on my PC.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This 6month free edition updates its installation components from a very very slow server. I lost my nerves and canceled it even before it finished it.

13. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

lol

you have to be very patient and have strong nerves to stand this installation.

14. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

I like F-secure a lot! It is very nice thing and I use it for 1,5 year. Never any problems, works very well with my computer, I don't care if it is heavy, it finds lot of viruses, updates are common ... I like it and don't like to change it. :D

15. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Does anyone know anything about the version for linux because I installed it on my linux machine, don't use it very often.

Jimbob

16. ?waters

?waters Guest

just trying it .
    cant find details on engine that is being used.how good is it detecting spyware.Do i need adaware as well

17. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I always advise the following tools when my friends ask my advice.

A Decent Virus Scanner for viruses
    Ad-Aware for Adware
    Spybot Search & Destroy for Spyware
    SpywareBlaster also for spyware
    Fast Cleen (or a similar tool) for clearing out temp files

Jimbob

18. ?????

????? Guest

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2005 which is the 6 month license download through MS uses 3 engines, AVP (KAV) and 2 F-Secure (Orion & Libra). It also comes with a re-branded Ad-Aware from Lavasoft. This is equal to the SE Pro version because it contains Process-Watch.

19. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Engines are listed in the ABOUT link. Right click on icon.

ReBranded Ad-Aware does come with F-Secure, but you need to start it. Go into Start/Programs/F-Secure/Ad-Monitor .. start Ad-Monitor, in options set it to run at start up. It does not by default (Do not know why)

Ad-Monitor is great after a week I ran Anti-Spy(Ad-Aware) and it found nothing. Thats because Ad-Monitor stopped everything. I will also include this tip. If you need to open a window that won't....look to see if the Ad-Monitor is flashing red. If it is you will need to right click on the Ad-Monitor icon and unload Ad-Monitor to open that window. The Icon will turn white, when you are done with the page you are looking at you just have to right click icon again and then reload. Very easy to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.