F-Secure 3 yr subscription>

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I notice on ebay an auction for F-Secure 2006 with a three year subscription. I guess I did not know of that option, but one might get a cheap 3 yrs out of it.
    The seller has a good record so I don't have any thought that it is crooked.

On the F-Secure site no mention is made of a three year license, but does mention 1-3 users. Anyone aware of a longer term license?

Since I like FS, I might bid on it.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@jerrym,
    Ive never been a fan of 2 year or higher year licenses.
    I prefer 1 year license so if it turns rubbish after that you can replace it and not lose to much money.
    this is in general with all licenses and im not saying it because its an f-secure license.
    you never know what the furture is with programs and it could suddenly turn rubbish and then you still have like 2.5year license left and its wasted.
    lodore

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    Good points, but if I could get a 3 year license for 10 -12 bucks, why would I care if it turns to rubbish? I cannot get a 1 year license for that.

F-Secure does not go for high prices on ebay. In fact KAV6 doesn't either. So far I have found ebay a good place to buy. When I got my first computer it came with Norton. After the first year I bought new ones off ebay without any problems.

Best,
    Jerry

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I believe this is an OEM. I checked out ebay and saw a couple 3-year F-Secure suites for sale. I believe Cosmi and a few other companies have OEM affiliations with F-Secure and that is probably what this is. Note, the description says that the F-Secure photo is for illustration purposes only. I have noticed that a few OEM sales will have updates available but not upgrades. So whether this product will upgrade to F-Secure 2007 is unanswered. Also, there is a chance that F-Secure stops providing updates to its 2006 product prior to the three year license expiring. But you are right that to get a year or two for $10-12 is still a bargain nomatter how you slice it.

I posted something similar earlier today, but if you would like to try out F-Secure AV to see if you like it they have a 6 month free trial.

http://esd.element5.com/demoreg.html?productid=544842&languageid=1

I have heard some people love F-Secure while others complain of its resource size and slow loading at start-up. So you may want to try it out free before buying the whole suite.

To me it looks like a really nice AV-

"What Is F-Secure Anti-Virus 2006?
    F-Secure Anti-Virus 2006 uses the layered security approach to protecting your Windows or Linux PC. It combines four different security engines. Those engines are:

1. AVP - Kaspersky's antivirus engine
    2. Orion - F-Secure's heuristic/behavioral engine
    3. Draco - Lavasoft's Ad-Aware anti-spyware engine
    4. Libra - F-Secure's signature/program-updates engine

F-Secure employs BackWeb, a technology provided by another company, as part of its signatures-and-program-updating system. According to F-Secure, F-Secure Anti-Virus 2006 also includes a version of the company's BlackLight rootkit protection." From scotsnewsletter.com.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi acr1965,

Thanks for the reply. If it would not upgrade I would not be interested. I also notice that this auction is for the suite, and I don't want that. I might be able to load it without the firewall, but don't want it to get too complicated.

I am currently running FS 2007 with the 1 year free license. I have been using it for several months, and personally like it better than about anything else except KAV6, which I use on another machine. I tried NOD32, but like FS better.

The major complaints are about resource usage. I have not had a problem with that. I do not care for the AdAware AS module, but I use others.
    Overall I like FS enough to keep it when the current license expires next July. However, the cost might make me go to Avast Home or KAV6. I realize that if one needed more than one user license, the FS license is a good deal.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

as a big fan of fsecure, 3 year licences are un-heard of, i also would stick to 1 year or maybe 2, especially of ebay, to make sure its leg-it. :D

*drunk - 21st yeeeeha

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

How would you make sure it is legit?
    I have asked the seller and he assures me it is, and the same seller has a couple of auctions for 1 year. I asked if it was a license for one year and three people, but he assured me it was one license for three years.

He also has close to 100% positive feedback. I have confidence he is not a crook. The only question is whether it will upgrade for free to 2007. It would be logical to me that it would since it is for 3 years. I am not aware that any AV does not upgrade within the period of the license.

Jerry

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Maybe you can ask the seller whether it will upgrade to 2007? o_O

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

FWIW- Just be sure and ask him about the OEM and which company is issuing it. There is a good chance it is someone besides F-Secure. I remember when Defender-Pro had a suite where it used Kaspersky's AV and FW but was for the previous year's release. The only way to upgrade to the current version to Kap's AV and FW was to buy directly from Kapersky. I actually received an email asking about whether their current version was available in Defender-Pro as an upgrade and was told no. You may be able to find out more info by emailing F-Secure.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

This case depends heavily on multiple factors. When an OEM has re-branded the product (i.e changed the name to reflect the name of the OEM), then the license terms change to acknowledge that all program updates and upgrades are the responsibility of the OEM and not of the original producer of the software.

Also, Defender Pro comes with free engine updates and upgrades, but no program updates. This is the reason why Defender Pro does not offer more than a one year subscription. When the subscription expires, the extension that is acquired will give you the latest version of Kaspersky's software rebranded by Defender Pro. This would not be the case if you purchased a two year license for Defender Pro today.

Considering this eBay F-Secure seller is offering a 3-year subscription, there has to be some sort of a support contract which would allow for continued protection against new threats. If the product has not been rebranded in the name of the OEM, the chances are high that the license will indeed allow for free upgrades to the latest version.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Here is information he provided. Looks good to me, and I think I'll go for it. I can't lose much.

Subcategory Security - desktop antivirus, security - desktop firewall
    License Type Complete package
    Bundled Support 3 Years Standard Support and Maintenance Services
    License Qty 1 user
    License Pricing OEM
    Language(s) International
    Platform Windows
    OS Required Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Service & Support New releases update

PS
    I have never bought anything from the UK, and I assume that the price converted to dollars is the total price without a lot of added EUR stuff. Anyone know the answer?

Best,
    Jerry

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@jerrym,
    if you use paypal or anyother online payment service it will be converted to dollers.
    i have brought stuff from the us and it got converted to uk pounds.
    lodore

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Lodore.
    I made a bid, now I'll see what happens in a few days.
    Jerry

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i would still be 'on guard', as ive never heard of f-secure giving 3 year licences, i would find out how its bundled to give you 3 years first, before deciding to purchase.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Too late. I have confidence that it is legit based upon the sellers ebay record.
    Jerry

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok jerry,

good luck,

yes it will be converted to dollars, and depending on price.... you might have to pay an import tax (unless its just us brits that have to pay that)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.