F-Secure 2013 Goes the Extra Mile...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cobrafirefly, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

So I'm beta testing F-Secure Computer Security 2013 on my Win 8 x64 machine. I also run lubuntu 32 bit in Virtualbox on my other monitor. Well, with no intervention of my own, F-Secure is checking the links I open in SRWare Iron in virtual Lubuntu. Green checkboxes that I can click on to get the F-Secure url info. As far as I can tell, that's the first time my security suite also covered something I was running virtually, in an otherwise unsupported browser type on an unsupported OS. Anybody else on here know F-Secure better than I do know how this is possible?

2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It isn't extraordinary I think. I've had things like downloads on my VM(VMware) that wouldn't complete and when I checked my host the AV on my host detecting things I downloaded on VMware and blocked them. Probably F-Secure inserts the checkmarks on network traffic level so they work independently from browsers and the dev team don't have to update and test addons for a whole list of browsers on every browser update.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats nothing unusual or strange. avast! does that ever since they've introduced HTTP scanner years ago. It's scanning ALL clicked links, doesn't matter if app is virtualized in Sandboxie or VMWare or any other VM system. It'll get intercepted during HTTP transaction.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Nothing unusual. VM's have their own driver that runs through the NIC. If you go into Network Connection Properties you can see the IPv4, IPv6 drivers, most likely a firewall and some VMWare items. Everything that passes through that connection gets scanned.

5. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

Hmm. I didn't know this stuff. Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.