F-Secure 2010 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gery

gery Registered Member

FS is running light on my laptop but i was surprised by the first update taking more than 1 hour and 30 minutes.Is this normal?
    edit ; i am on 256kbps line

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

When you first install it, it does take a long time to fully download and install all the updates but an hour and a half sounds far too long. Not really up to speed on internet connections but I have 6mb download - not sure how this compares with what you have - and took about 10 minutes to "do it all".

Obviously after the initial big download you shouldn't notice future updates being downloaded as they're all fairly small in comparison.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

it is as light as norton 360 which i had before or maybe lighter and i like it so far.
    The funny thing is that the link scanner says it has not yet analysed Wilders forum:D

4. JoakimM

JoakimM Registered Member

I have used both task manager and process explorer and both stops the FSIS 2010 processes completely without any warning from Deepguard on my two computers, both running XP SP 3. FSIS 2010 is at default settings. Right now I´m on my laptop without any protection as far as I can tell from FSIS 2010. None of it´s processes are running in the taskbar, the icon is gone and the product doesn´t open from the shortcut on the desktop nor from the Start-menu.

I also just managed to download all EICAR test files from their site, saved and opened them on my desktop without even a cough from FSIS 2010, so I´d say, with my limited knowledge compared to many on this forum, the app is securely stopped.

Regards,
    Joakim

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Yeah I noticed that too!

6. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Well I'm back at home on my PC using Vista x64 running as administrator. Using task manager, I get the access denied message when trying to stop any FS services but I was able to stop FS processes without any problem after which the FS tray icon disappeared. However, I'm still able to open FS GUI through the start menu and as FS services are still running I'm thinking the protection is still there but haven't tested yet (too scared!). I've also noticed that the right click scanning option is still there but nothing happens when you try and use it.

(I seem to remember there were such issues with Eset v3 when it was first released but was fixed with a future update/build).

Hopefully Patrik can shed some more light on this.

7. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm seeing the same behavior on youtube, although my delay is much longer than 15 seconds. :(

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I noticed when I do an on demand scan the results are that about 8,000 files get scanned. Other av's I have used scan like 100k files on the same computer. Are all my computer files and drives being scanned by f-secure when I do a "full computer scan" on demand?

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

if you are use to FSIS 2009 you need to realize the fundamental differences with the changing of scanning engines. 2009 was a lug to load but worked very quickly once loaded. 2010 loads very easily but then the lug sets in and I still attribute it to Bitdefender. I can load their suite and get the same lug.

10. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

That's certainly what I've noticed too. Once booted up, FS starts quickly but seems to take a little time to settle down before things start moving freely. Also noticed this when I tried GData IS which uses the Bitdefender engine also.

11. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

FS by default only scans known file types. You can choose to scan all file types which will take longer but you should see the number of files scanned similar to other av's you mention.

12. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Hi all,

We have identified and fixed an issue that enabled a user to terminate our processes. Terminating them isn't possible on a plain install but after certain actions it is and this is what we're now fixing.

We hope to have a fix in the update channel very soon, will keep you posted on when it's there.

Thanks again to the community for giving us feedback and helping us improve the product.

Patrik

13. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Do note that we only scan certain files by default when you do manual scans, you have to select to scan all files, that could be a reason.

Also, I've seen users select our version of a Quick Scan when they thought they did a full system scan so make sure that you select so make sure that, during the scan, it says "Target: C: + system + rootkits" (and whatever other drives you might have).

Patrik

14. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Good news! Thanks for the update Patrik.

15. acr1965

I saw what I was doing wrong. To get a full system scan I need to right click the f-secure icon.

16. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Thanks for taking care of the problem. :)

17. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

So now the number of scanned files look more like they should?

18. acr1965

yep thanks

19. JoakimM

Great news!

I´m a bit curious about how the work is done. Is it a joint effort Helsinki/San Jose/KL or is it individual employees in one or more of the countries? You flag a problem and a bunch of people start working on it? How do these things work in general? This may not be of interest to Wilders but perhaps it would be an idea to make an FS Lab video and show without revealing any secrets how the work is done like "how does it work when we get a new virus to deal with or" or "a product has an issue, how do we deal with that".

Regards,
    Joakim

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  20. JoakimM

I might have part of an explanation to that one. I have only experience from the English and Swedish GUI of the product, but for example, in the localized Swedish version a Quick scan is called three different things, depending on where in the GUI you are. Right-clicking the icon in the tray you get the option to do a Virus and spyware scan, in the GUI it is called Virus scan and in the report afterwards it is called Quick virus and spyware scan. If this is common in the localized versions then some users will be confused.

I made a report when trying out the ISTP to Beta support/feedback about this, called [SR ID:1-148776722]Unclear terms in GUI (Swedish) and it was recieved by a Piia Ventola. It also included some comments on spelling and some other stuff I noticed in the Swedish product that could be enhanced. When the final product was downloadable from the F-Secure website, none of this was fixed.

Regards,
    Joakim

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  21. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

Agree, doing a lab video about that would be cool, will bring that idea up to the other people in the lab.

How we deal with product issues are not very different from any other software company. Very often the work is in more than one country in that the bug might be verified in one location, fixed in another and tested in a third. It all depends on what needs to be fixed. The fix then goes through a QA process and depending on the urgency it will either be packaged as a hotfix and distributed automatically to all users or put into code waiting for the next bigger release/service pack.

When it comes to anything related to malware scanning/removal it works in pretty much the same way except that we never have to wait for a bigger release to make the fix available to the users. Nowadays we can release fixes for any malware handling issue via the update channel which makes code maintenance much easier as all the users will run the same version.

Patrik

22. patrikr

patrikr AV Expert

I unfortunately agree, the wording used isn't great and I'm pushing to get it fixed.

In my other post I mentioned a little bit how our bug fixing works. Believe it or not, anything malware, although it's technically the most advanced part of the product, related we can usually fix pretty easily thanks to the updateable architecture. Anything that involves text though is tricky as it has to be localized to tens of different languages and it's very time consuming.

Patrik

23. JoakimM

I understand, thanks for your explanation. Maybe you could point out coming the next ISTP that you would like feedback on such issues as well, apart from obviously the most important stuff, functionality of the product.

Any updates on the OEM-version of FSIS 2010 or can a current OEM-subscription be used right away with the current download as stated in an earlier post?

Any news about the pointer lag that I and PnP experience?

Regards,
    Joakim

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  24. JoakimM

According to his own and Mikko´s Twitter Patrik Runald leaves F-Secure for new adventures. From what I understand he has for a long time been very helpful to the Wilders community regarding F-Secure´s products. Hopefully someone else at F-Secure will keep on monitoring Wilders and be able to answer questions about F-Secure products.

Regards,
    Joakim

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not FS 2010 made it in time for the August AVC tests?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.