F-Secure 2009 products released (3/9/08)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ade 1, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Just a heads up - on their site under 'home user'. Makes for some interesting reading:-

F-Secure now delivers lightning fast online protection with its innovative family of security products for connected life. The new Wellbeing 2009 family of consumer IT security products launched today uses power of the network to block new, unknown threats in minutes – globally.

F-Secure Corporation’s Wellbeing 2009 family of consumer IT security products deliver the world’s fastest protection against new online threats and set new standards in Internet security. Introducing ground-breaking F-Secure DeepGuard™ 2.0 technology, which recognizes both safe and malicious software instantaneously using a real-time protection network, F-Secure is now able to protect the online wellbeing of its customers better than ever before. Customers are protected with a service that is faster than anything seen before in blocking new threats, more accurate in identifying malicious software, and fully automated with no need for user attention.

When a new potential malicious program appears, the first participating F-Secure protected computers that encounter it anywhere in the world will instantly inform F-Secure’s highly automated security labs. For confirmed threats complete protection will be achieved within 60 seconds on a global basis. Consequently, as any computer with this technology queries the network, it will be instantly protected against the newly found threat, bypassing the time it has traditionally taken to send out virus database updates.

"We're introducing another industry first. We have to keep innovating to fight the online criminals as they are getting more efficient and professional," says Pirkka Palomaki, Chief Technology Officer at F-Secure Corporation. "When our customers try to run suspicious programs, the trustworthiness of such files is automatically queried from our servers - in fractions of a second. We're the only vendor that can provide this level of protection for consumers."

Online security plays an important role in people’s overall wellbeing as life is becoming increasingly connected through the Internet, mobile networks and different digital devices. Computers and other devices need to be kept free of malware to ensure they function correctly. Safe online banking and shopping depend on a secure computer and Internet connection. Sensitive personal information and valuable work data need to be safeguarded against theft, and families want to protect children from harmful content on the Internet.
    The F-Secure Wellbeing 2009 family of products is an advanced collection of security solutions that enables consumers to enjoy connected life to the full. Wellbeing 2009 includes the following products and services:

F-Secure Internet Security 2009
    F-Secure Anti-Virus 2009
    F-Secure Home Server Security 2009
    F-Secure Health Check
    Online Wellbeing portal
    F-Secure Internet Security 2009 – fastest protection in the online world
    F-Secure Internet Security 2009 sets new standards in quality of protection against the new online threats that are currently flooding the Internet and e-mails. Featuring F-Secure’s unique DeepGuard™ 2.0 technology that introduces the industry’s first real-time protection network, F-Secure Internet Security 2009 delivers the world’s fastest protection against new online threats.
    In addition to providing an exceptional quality of protection, F-Secure Internet Security 2009 also includes significant performance improvements, being quicker than the competition* where it matters most for the user. Improvements include an easy automatic installation that only takes 90 seconds, as well as significantly faster boot-up, scanning and disinfection times. The improved Parental Control feature now also includes time lock options for ensuring that children’s online wellbeing can be controlled more comprehensively.

* Results based on test data from the independent testing organization AV-test.org ( www.av-test.org), July 2008, calculated against average performance of three major consumer security vendors.

May give IS a trial but the trial is still showing as 2008 at the moment.

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

3. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

4. emperordarius

Whoa looks like stupid PcMag reviewed it http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2328582,00.asp

They give the impression of extreme slowness. I wonder what systems they use for testing.

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Well if it doesn't have Symantec or Norton in the title then PC Mag will always slate the competition. And that review is extremely quick to appear. Unless FS gave them a copy before the official release. It's normally at least a week or so before they review new products.

I'll give the review a read now.........

6. emperordarius

Yeah, it's true, don't forget Spyware Doctor. Oh, I forgot, Pc Tools is now part of Symantec! What a coincidence!:D

BTW: from the screenshots it looks like the final release, the beta releases were called technology preview or something.
    I wonder if Rubenking's testing machines meet the system requirements.

7. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

And there is that Norton ad on every page of the review .Lol.
    I' also want to know Ram usage,and how many processes are running by default.If anybody has screenshots with it please post.

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I haven't put this through all it's paces but initiually this looks like a solid program it's boot time, which is always a hang up for some folks, was not a problem on my machine & it updated fast. I also mention that I have a game that is very sensitive and it didn't slow down at all. If what F-Secure can deliver on the technologies they annouced than I would say a very solid product. I don't know what to say about the PcMag review, it's just one review & it looks like he looked at it from a a negative perspective. He got what he was looking for...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I'll try and install on a spare pc at work and get back to you with those stats.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I have installed the AV 2009 and it is running smooth as a whistle.:thumb:

11. emperordarius

Mmm...has it's Self-Defense improved?

12. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I think they tested F-Secure with NAV installed.:D

13. emperordarius

Runbenking couldn't uninstall his favourite av he loved it too much:eek: :D

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The guy is an idiot. He also states that, " in AV-Comparatives' proactive non-signature test, FS2009 didn't even reach the Standard passing grade."

When I look at IBKs site it says version 8, 2008. So it isnt even correct in what he reports.:thumbd:

15. emperordarius

We should make an association called UAR(United Against Rubenking)

16. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Who wants to bet that NIS2009 will get the PC Mag's "Editor's Choice Award"?

17. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Well, at least this year it could be debateable... Previous years it was laughable.

18. emperordarius

Still I wouldn't agree if norton had taken 4.5 or 5 stars when others such as Kaspersky, F-Secure, BitDefender or Avira don't even get 4 stars. Rubenking should concentrate more on detection and protection rather than on features and ease of use. Also he should give more score to actual detection and protection rather than secondary features such as Parental Control, Backup, Anti-Spam and anti-phishing. It would be interesting two different scores, one for detection/protection and the other for secondary features.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

magazines in the UK always rate f-secure highly and rightly so.

20. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Couldn't agree more. The times I've read him complaining about the anti-spam filter or parental control of a product. Just look at the KIS2009 review for the perfect example. Lowering scores because these two features don't perform like he thinks they should. Also, NIS2008, which he obviously loves, doesn't even come with anti-spam or parental control (they're add-ons) yet it still got 4.5 stars. Out of all the reviewers on the web, he always seems to come up in discussions and it always revolves around his love for Norton and the liberal advertising for them on the PC Mag website. Crazy thing is I always end up going back there to see which app has been annihilated this week by him. It's actually started to become predictable and boring but addictive nonetheless!

21. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

uaheuhauheua

Funny! :D

22. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

If it is SERIOUSLY faster, I am a convert.:cautious:
    How much memory do all processes take ?

23. CountryGuy

Absolutely, positively 100% agree, and my biggest beef with his reviews. I could really care less if the Parental Controls are wonderful in a suite, if the AV and firewall don't do their job.

24. CountryGuy

For those using this, I ask my (usual) question - Does anything not work in 64 bit Vista? :D

25. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Taking it for a spin now.
    I'm showing 89,680k and 14 processes.
    A little on the heavy side IMO.
    On install, it's does not give the option to not install components except for parental control.
    Boot time is alot faster with this ver. then in past ones.
    A slight hesitation when changeing pages.
    First impressions, they could learn to make this alot lighter as many of the other top suites are.
    Not a keeper for me. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.