F-Protect and heuristics

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bunkhouse Buck, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

What is your impression of F-Protect for Windows version 6.0.9.1 and it's heuristics? I installed it six months ago, and it ran heavier than I would like. Are any of you using it now?

There is also an issue with a general slowdown opening files, etc. which the company acknowledges.

http://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,1166.0.html

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. egghead

egghead Registered Member

I"m using it and I think it is a superb AV. :thumb: I'm running it on XP home, XP Pro and Vista home premium. It's running very light on my machine (as light as Dr. Web v 4 x); don't even notice it is there.

Version 6x uses the new "eldorado" (Spanish for "the goldend one'') heuristic engine. Some users did some testing and the heuristic engine worked very effective (see F prot forum): detection increased when they changed settings from low>normal>high. According to shadowserver the heuristic engine is powerful (F prot on 5 th place in the yearly stats). http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Stats.VirusYearlyStats.

Yours truly does not believe in tests. I believe what I experience myself. What I experience is that F prot in the real world gives great protection: when visiting dark sites of the web this sucker is a real malware killer. It not only does a great job in detecting but also in removing malware.

Some other goodies: very user friendly proggie, outstanding and very friendly customer support and last but lnot least, the price is a steal: license for 5 pc's $ 29/Euro 22. :eek:

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Good to hear, so I assume you have not experienced any slowdowns on opening certain files?

4. Jaki

Jaki Guest

I trialed it also and I'm glad to say that it ran very light on my computer, no slowdown whatsoever. To me beside NOD32, Dr Web, and now Norton, f-prot is one of the lightest anti-virus program(me)s. :p

Peace.

5. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Lots of "Gemini" detections ...

wait, thats F-Secure.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Any particular file type giving you problems?

7. Bunkhouse Buck

I noticed a general slowdown when I first installed it last summer and just now when I installed the latest build.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Fprot has always been rather light and fast whenever I've tried it,

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

There have been performance problems with this version, in particular with opening MS Office documents and this seems to be related to the use of non-ASCII characters; a problem that has been apparent since 6.0.5.1.

Frisk hope to solve some performance issues with the next version, due in part to the ever increasing size of the database as well as the increasing number of heuristics introduced for the past 18 months. These factors are affecting realtime scanning and therefore seem to slow down some computers.

At the present time, IME, I would consider Dr Web, NOD, KAV, VBA32, Twister, Avira and Norton 2009 lighter than F-Prot in real-time.

Heuristics are good but no recent testing so difficult to compare it to the likes of NOD or Avira. It certainly increased their detection rate but whether it is as good as suggested over at ShadowServer is another question.

Frisk are a small vendor, and this has not been helped by the loss of key personel in the last year and the Credit Crunch tsunami which has hit Iceland. The speed of change at Frisk can therefore be very slow. For example, a new version has not been pushed out for awhile now; 2 releases in 2008 compared to 8 releases in 2007.

10. egghead

egghead Registered Member

None. Opening MS Office documents works fast (see post blackcat) :thumb:

11. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Great post, you sure your not a mindreader? Meaning u summed up pretty much what i wanted to say but might i add this one does better then a whole lot of famous other av's in the realworld, at least in my humble experience.

f-prot = a no nonsense av

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'd rather opt for AVIRA Premium in that case even if it doesn't have license for 5 PC's...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.