F-prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vincevega, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

I downloaded the F-prot demo and installed it on 2 of my PC's. One a 1.8gig AMD w 512 Meg of Ram the other PC is a P3 450 with 640 meg of Ram. F-prot runs great on the AMD machine but for some reason it is causing the P3 to really slow down especially when opening Windows explorer and opening files. The CPU goes to 100% after like 20-30 seconds then it's fine. I've already sent an email to Frisk with a screenshot of the processes that are running. They responded quickly but said simply that they were looking into it. Any ideas Antivirus gurus?

Thanks,

Vince

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I have F-Prot on one of my 2 machines and have no problems so far but a number of people here in the forum have reported slowdowns due to certain software conflicts. Go back in the forums to Nov 25th and read the topic called F-Prot false positive for more info on what some have experienced...cheers :D

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Don't worry, you are not alone. Read this https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=56112
    Unfortunately for me, my trial ran out so i will never have the opportunity to try it again to see if they have fixed the problem. I did ask their technical support about using the previous build 3.15b but here's their reply:

Their way of saying "Go swivel".

muf

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I had a trial of 3.15 and loved it. I was going to buy it and put it on both boxes. One box is an old 98SE box at 450MhZ. Then right after the end of my trial before I bought it here comes 3.16 and I couldn't trial it and I heard all sorts of stuff about how slow it is now. Too bad. 3.15 was so light and so fast. Anyhow, I'm glad I didn't buy it because I couldn't run it on my 98SE box and one reason to buy it is that you pay once and can use it on as many boxes as you want if you are a home user.

5. muf

muf Registered Member

Mele20,

Tbh The latest version is a damn nightmare compared to 3.15x. This i believe is an indication of how version 4 will turn out. Much more resource intensive! It's a shame because in the last few years F-Prot's big plus was it's low resource. It used to compete with fellow low resource AV's like eTrust, nod, DrWeb. Now it's competing with the likes of KAV and McAfee due to the new engine. If you were a potential customer what would you choose out of those three? Certainly not F-Prot! Unless they sort this slowdown problem, i think they will find more and more customers taking another option. I mean if your going to put an AV on your system that slows it down, it may as well be one of the top three. As good as it is, F-Prot just isn't as good as KAV, McAfee, NAV, F-Secure, Panda and all those other KAV engined AV's. They had a nice little niche to compete, but not any longer.

muf

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  6. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere. Thanks for the 411 guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.