f-prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you may notice a tht i keep asking about anti virus software that is because im testing all the best ones.

can people tell me there views on f-prot?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the current f-prot v3 is possibly teh lightest antiviruses ive ever tried. it barely uses any cpu or memory. its detection rates rates could be better but for safe surfers it should be sufficient.

also, under windows xp, f-prot offers no customizeable options for its realtime component. its either enabled or not.

f-prot v6 is in beta and it looks promising. if u dont mind thats its beta, u can try it.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im thiniking about trying the beta on my old pc. i have tryed nod32, avg bitdefender, antivir and kaspersky on my old pc. my old pc used to be protected by norton but it still has tons of trogans on it that norron didnt detect surpirse surprise. any other good anti virus programs i should try on my old pc

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Panda is also very good antivirus and antispyware . The onliest problem is that it is too heavy for the system :)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Panda seens to slow down all the system.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

That's exactly what I am saying just above you :D :D :D

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just wanted to emphasize second point.

9. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I use F-Prot 3.16f on-demand only as a backup to my main anti-malware program. It's a decent program, but as has been already stated, the detection (as well as cleaning abilities, IMHO) could be better. I will not be renewing my license for it. I am aware of the development of version 6.x, but at this point and with so many other very good programs in or near what this will cost, I have to say so what? Frisk, you've waited much much too long.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

IMO, commenting on F-Prot at this particular point in time is somewhat a waste of time. Why? Because:

***(1) From what I have been reading here at Wilders, it seems certain that Version 6 -- FP's new version (now in beta) -- will be MUCH more powerful & far more configurable that was the version rated by AV-Comparatives et alia.

***(2) Inspector-Happy-Bytes-Michael-the-Gladiator is now with FP. The word is out to the bad guys -- "Get out of Dodge!" :eek: :blink: :ninja: :eek: o_O

NOTE: Unless you are a student of the *Wyatt Earp era*, you might not understand that last comment.

11. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Sorry to hear this. I am sure the F-Prot savvy users waited and waited for an upgrade. With Inspector Closeau joining the the F-Prot Team, I am "sure" things will improve with the technology. Time is crucial in this business. His Maximus is quite extra-ordinary and have done positive things.

I have been checking F-Prot's Virus Information Page and quite impressed with the (heuristic_detection) on top of the chart. I am sure this is the work of IC. Day by day, it's improving. Take a look at Last Month and Year Ago. ;)

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

:D LOL:D friend Bellgamin I got it. We should also rename it PC Peacemaker after the famous Colt revolver of the time. :D

13. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

nice IC! Now you can get your coffee. :D

15. pykko

pykko Registered Member

and btw, nice seagulls. :D
    They remind me of my own seagulls, I'm seeing each day as I watch through my bedroom window. They are so lovely as they are yelling and flying and rising their "little bird-children". :D

But how do you manage to educate them to sit each on their pillar? :eek: :p

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I almost hate to ask this, but reviewing F-Protect's record in AV Comparatives, I have often wondered why there seems to be such a loyal following by knowledgeable people here. I know the 5 computer use on 1 license is a very nice thing, but it's detection rates are so low that I would not trust it. And considering we have so many others that have much better detection rates, it surprises me that it is used so much.

I am wondering if, since the Inspector is now with F-Protect, that there are very high expectations among folks here. What evidence makes one think that the program will be improved to the extent that it will be competitive with NOD or KAV?

Thanks,
    Jerry

17. Inspector Clouseau

Just watch Virus Total Reports in Future :D - F-Prot 4 was just included there.
    There you will see a HUGE difference between version 3 and version 4.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Good, and I am looking forward to it. I must say that the price, and the liberal license might just tempt me, also if the detection rate improves.

Thanks,
    Jerry

19. Inspector Clouseau

Of course the detection rate improves, thats as sure as the amen in the church

20. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Inspector Closeau used to work for a company as a Senior Researcher that exceled in heuristic detection and reputation in this Wilders forum. ;)

21. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

That's great news Inspector!!

22. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, even on F-Prot Maximus robot works brilliant. :D

Attached Files:

23. Inspector Clouseau

yes, and he just informed me that you scanned the file "sxBot.Exe" :eek: :D :D

Attached Files:

• max.jpg
      max.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
  24. Inspector Clouseau

If you have MSN-Chat you can add your friend Maximus. I configured it now in this way, that it will ONLY report heuristic detections at virus total and jotti. Please note, that the detections at Jotti are not good as VirusTotal, since there runs the old v3 engine. Maximus also alerts you in case there would be any news, such as when i missed the lunch or world cup goals / results.

you can add him via maximus [at] f-prot.com :D Oh yes, and for guests he's of course only in "Report-Mode" means he doesn't reply anything if you give commands or talk to him. :D

25. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

great :thumb:

Gerard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.