F-PROT vs NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SIMONxi, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Can you state some background to this claim?

I know that the old F-Secure used a modified F-Prot and KAV engine, but I did not know that apparently the old F-Prot version used a KAV engine!

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I want some clarifcation too on F-prot using KAV engine...

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I tested NOD32 with AH against my 77 AdWare samples. NOD was best av in my short comparison in this.

AdWare rankings [77],

77 -- BDF 7.2 Free & Ewido Plus 3.0 Combo
    77 -- McAfee VSE 8.0i with AdW Beta module & Ewido Plus 3.0 Combo
    77 -- NOD32 & Ewido Plus 3.0 Combo
    75 -- CSAV 4.92.8 & Ewido Plus 3.0 Combo
    73 -- Ewido Plus 3.0
    69 -- NOD32 with AH
    64 -- VSE 8.0i with AdW module
    56 -- BitDefender 7.2 Free
    55 -- CSAV 4.92.8
    53 -- VSE 8.0i

Not tested NOD32 with AH & Ewido Plus 3.0 Combo yet. A bit worried about that, my older brother has acquired NOD32 licence recently. :D

PS. Just added NOD & Ewido Combo results.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  4. Firecat

What about KAV Xbases?

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

F-Prot's background scanner cannot be configured to exclude specific files, and this can make it unusable with some software (causing continuous 100% CPU utilisation with programs that constantly write to files) as a result. For this reason alone, I would strongly advise installing and testing the trial version before considering a purchase.

On the other hand, F-Prot's licence allows for installation on up to 5 PCs for home use, making it more attractive for home networks than NOD32 which requires a separate licence for each system.

6. Firecat

5 PCs for one home license? WOW! :D:D:D:D

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Maybe they have big homes in Iceland. ;) Or lots of computers. :)

However F-Prot aren't unique in this regard - BOClean offers unlimited installs for home users, DiamondCS has an "unlimited" licence for home use and Agnitum offer a Family Licence allowing for up to 5 installations of Outpost firewall.

It's rather a pity that Eset, Kaspersky and other software vendors haven't offered anything similar, otherwise I'd have purchased something from them by now...

8. KERANO

KERANO Guest

I prefer NOD32 because F-prot late with updates. I used F-prot 2 years ago and got virus infection than I sent them a sample and after 7-8 days they release an update...

Other than that they are OK but NOD32 is getting beter and beeter so im recommending you to buy NOD for now.

9. Firecat

OH WOW!

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yeah, but it cost more than the regular liscense, unlike BoClean, etc.

Acadia

11. Firecat

How much more?

12. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Because Kaspersky seems to be the reference av in almost every sample collection I have found in the net, it always scores 100 % or very close to that. That's why not within in this test.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6265_11-5028148.html You will see the F-secure team used KAV a few years back . Hope that helps .

14. hollywoodpc

Hey BC .
    I meant F- secure . My apologies . But , F-secure used the KAV engine . NO modification . VB did a write up on it as well . I will try to find it if you wish . Thanks .

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I notice that the F-Prot site has this information.
    Designed to run on Windows 98, 98SE, ME, NT, 2000, 2003 and Windows XP, and with a personal license covering up to five computers in the license holder's home. The price is $29.00.
    My Bit Defender indicates that the license is for only 1 user. I don't know if others are for more than 1 user as long as the additional users are in the same household.

Looks like a good buy, and if it is arguable as to whether it is as good as NOD, then save some money with F-Prot.

Now some say, "If you have to ask you can't afford it." In my youth it was, "A fool and his money are soon parted." ;)

Jerry

16. hollywoodpc

I will keep NOD but , f-prot is good enough to use for that kind of savings . COOL

17. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

One of the reasons we chose to resell F-PROT is because of the generous home user (and business) license scheme, in addition to it's excellent abilities on computers that are perhaps--a bit long in the tooth. :D

It's an excellent, light as a feather AV.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

My experience with FProt was that the older version was very light and excellent except the GUI on XP is very lacking. I was through my trial and about to purchase it when out comes the current version which many were saying slows even fast XP boxes. I didn't purchase it because I heard too much negative comments here and I could not trial it because I had trialed the earlier version.

I'm waiting for version 4 which should fix the GUI problems which really need to be fixed in XP. I like bare bones but not that bare! The price can't be beat as I could put it on both my boxes for less than what it would cost for many AV on one box.

I came to FProt from NOD32 and FProt (older version) was a breath of fresh air as NOD32 has become almost as gunked up as NAV. I used NOD32 for two years, versions 1 and 2 and had become increasingly unhappy with all the junk added recently and the long scan times compared to earlier along with so much slow down on XP with IMON that I had to turn it off. While FProt was a welcome lightness with no bells and whistles, it was too bare particularly on XP which is where I trialed it. It is the fastest AV I have ever tried on command line right click scan. It just desperately needs a decent GUI for XP but not at the expense of its legendary lightness.

Frisk has excellent tech support and they are the original AV vendor.They have a very interesting history. They have something no other vendor has also and that is TWO world class AV researchers. Some vendors don't even have one. Their scanning engine is outstanding but the GUI ,and now the purported slowness with the new version, caused me to turn away from them for the time being. I'm using Bit Defender free instead and no real time AV. I'm quite conservative in my internet habits and practice safe hex always and avoid IE so I'm alright, at least for awhile, without a real time AV.

19. Firecat

F-Secure still uses the KAV engine...although they try not to mention that!

20. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Yes, that's true... Damn we discuss it to much huh :p

So one more time here are the three engines F-Secure uses:
    AVP: A sligltly modified Kaspersky engine.
    Libra: A modified F-Prot engine (or like F-Secure said based on F-Prot).
    Orion: Their own special Heuristics engine.

21. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

22. Sputnik

23. Firecat

Almost...try newer samples will ya? :)

24. Sputnik

lol, if you can provide me them :p

25. Firecat

Agrrg! You got me there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.