F-Prot version 4 -- any news?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim_k

jim_k Registered Member

It is now sounding more and more like it will happen very soon.

Here's another sign: http://www.frisk.is/fpwini.html. I have no idea what most of the site says, but there are two things I noticed:
    • It is now called F-Prot Antivirus in Iceland (used to be Lykla-Pétur). It looks like they are trying to get people over there used to a new name (well, new for them). This seems like a strange thing to do if something new isn't real close to arriving.
    • Notice the new product logo? This has been used for the Exchange version of F-Prot on the U.S. site for a while, but this is the first time I have seen it used for the regular antivirus program.
    I really do hope it gets here soon.

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Latest news on F-Prot 4 is as follows,

soon.

Private email removed except one word - Ron

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2006
  3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hopefully, this "soon" will not be 2007.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2006
  4. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

No worries.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I can confirm that. I mean the beta product i got was far more mature than any beta program i've tested so far. Thats certanly a good sign. I can't tell for the engine part though (Thats Inspector's playground hihi), but everything else was already very polished. All i can say is stay tunned and you'll see :cool:

6. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

@Clouseau What about the Armadillo unpacker mentioned in your blog? DilloDie is far too slow and too unreliable to be implemented into an AV scanner. Is your unpacker so much faster?

7. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

So nothing more can be disclosed at the moment because of the non-disclosure agreement for the being a beta tester?

Some say the next version will be F-PROT 4 while some say it is F-PROT 6. May I know if F-PROT 4 or 6 will include anti-spyware functionality? :p

8. IBK

IBK AV Expert

v6 with spyware detection..

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well Inspector said it's engine version 4 and interface version 6.
    Thats why the 6 in the program...

Pretty similar with BitDefender. Their engine is version 7, but program is already at version 10.

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I hope F-Prot can catch up with the other top preformers again. I'll keep an eye on it.

11. IBK

IBK AV Expert

yes it will

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Sounds like the long-long wait is going to have a very good finish for the folks at Frisk..:thumb:

13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I can't wait to test it....it was a time when I used it and thought it was number one. Hope this version will make me reconsider it again as the best. :D

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Inspector is working pretty hard according to his blog ;) Adding generics and stuff :D

15. pykko

pykko Registered Member

yeah...now I've read again its blog...seems promising. :)

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

So you and Inspector were selected beta testers of internal builds of F-PROT?

F-PROT, Norman Virus Control and Sophos have very good detection rates in the past, but they are somewhat lagging behind now. Some users in the Norman forum are also looking for Norman 6, but techincal support replied that it is still not yet ready for beta.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just me. He's part of FRISK team :p

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

WOW!!! Inspector should put a thread here when F-PROT 6 is available. Want to have first hand information :D

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I read the Inspector's blog about his work on generic banker trojan detection. I had NO idea that developing a protection for only ONE threat could be such a time-consuming & highly skilled job.

Since MANY new threats appear daily, how in the world do AV/AT outfits keep up? I am especially concerned about the capabilities of small outfits like BOClean. As far as that goes, I'm fairly certain that Frisk doesn't have hundreds of employees, either.

Does anyone have an idea as to *about* how many folks the large outfits (like Symantec & Kaspersky) have on their staffs who are doing the same sort of job that the Inspector is doing for F-Prot?

20. Inspector Clouseau

Of course you don't spend so much time on every single threat. You can usually add them via signature/crc match which means this sample would be just detected. If you write a generic detection for a special malware type (in this case the banker trojan family) you have to spend more time and efford into researching and developing. Because you need to know "in advance" how new banker trojans will look like even if you do not have them yet as samples.
    But this makes sure that you can detect a huge amount of new variants from this malware family - even if the code seems to be completely rewritten. You have to deal here with special cases, such as that the code you are looking for could be on-the-fly encrypted/decrypted (has nothing to do with simply runtime packed where the unpacking engine / emulator takes care of) - i posted several complex banker reversing informations already in the malware research forum. For instance the strings it uses to watch bank connections are usually encrypted. Sometimes they are encrypted in this way that you will not see them in plain text even if you make a memory dump because they are "on-need" decrypted and later encrypted again. As i wrote already in my log, we have somewhat above 4 Gigabytes (even 2 Gigabytes more with samples which are close to banker family but they aren't really) so that takes also a huge amount of time for the viruslab to include these critters if you get several new samples every day. Besides the generic way of detecting them is a better detection for the users since a proper written generic deticated special routine will tell you exact that we have a new banker variant, regardingless with what it would be packed. (Some other vendors flaging this as a variant if it's for instance just repacked - i do not mean just repacked here in this case)

21. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Dear Inspector,

With great respect for all your explanations, I am enjoying your Weblog for 500 %. Man, it must be great living in a beautiful country like Iceland. Great pictures, great stories. It's great to hear some inside information about working on a virus scanner, very interesting.
    But working on that and living like you do, I wouldn't mind swapping for a while.....!!!!
    Good luck with F-Prot and keep up the good work!

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Just curious. Is Authentium involved in beta testing F-PROT 6? Just wonder if Authentium will continue to license the F-PROT version 4 engine in future versions of Command AntiVirus.

23. comma dor dash

@Mike

Let me know when generic banker detection has been implemented. I would like to verify whether my various "investment bankers" are also detected ;-)

hxxp://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6725/investmentbankers4ez.png

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  24. Inspector Clouseau

Can you send this sample to me that i can check if the emulator goes through this?

25. comma dor dash

I have already uploaded it to (your? and Derek's forum). See the unpacking section. (Regardless of whether it's detected or not I would be interested in your opinion on the relevance of the technique used.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.