F-Prot or F-Secure...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dsr_sp, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsr_sp

dsr_sp Registered Member

Which one is better? F-Prot or F-Secure? And is NOD32 better than both?

Regards,
    Daniel

2. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

1. F-secure
    2. F-prot
    3. NOD32

But there is a difference in memory usage. F-secure takes lot more memory than f-prot or nod32. But this is normal, because it uses 3 scan engines.

I like F-secure 5.41 or 5.42 because newer versions have other stuff included: Internet Shield, Firewall, etc, and I don't like that.

Regards

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

F-Secure if your computer can handle it. A good candidate for this AV might be something with a P4 processor and a gigabyte of RAM.

NOD32 if you have an older computer, but still want an AV that detects almost everything. (Note that NOD is currently a bit behind in the trojan-detection department.)

F-Prot if you have a really ancient computer, or do not want to experience any drain on resources. (F-Prot also has sub-par trojan detection. If you want better Trojan detection, you'll probably want Command AV.)

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Command has better trojan detection than F-Prot? I thought it was just a retooled and rebranded F-Prot.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

F-prot uses the standard f-prot engine where as command uses the f-prot professional engine and command has it's own virus defs, trojan defs and hueristics.

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hey,
    Been looking around :ninja: I have decided to to forget the "Which Three" see that post. Thinking I will go with COMMAND, and thanks for the help you folks do a good service. :D

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I think you will like command, I have used them all and command works lighter and with almost daily updates good support with very good detection rates. very easy to configure. ;)

8. kloshar

9. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Apparently it's also very cheap, at $14.95 for a 1 year license.

10. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

Command Antivirus seems to be a pretty good deal except it lacks one feature which IMHO is essential for a modern antivirus--a real time email scanner. I have the licensed product and as far as I can see, it can only scan emails from Outlook in real time.

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

NOT an essential but a further addition to the AV layer.

Many people use an AV without an email scanner e.g. F-Prot for Windows or choose to run their AV without the email scanner being switched on. Your Running on-access Guard should catch any malware coming in this way.

Therefore Command will give you good protection from malware trying to enter via this source and the new version will apparently have some sort of email scanner.

12. yag

yag Guest

kloshar, that is not exactly right: that F-Secure alert is not due to its heuristics, but it is just the way, the F-Prot engine categorizes many of the "not-so-important"-malware samples, which are in fact detected by _signatures_. Most backdoors are detected with that kind of alert - and believe me, neither F-Prot, nor F-Secure have a good backdoor heuristic.
    So, it just looks like heuristcs... but it isn't.... ;)

F-Prot users, who play around with malware, should be able to confirm this.

13. kloshar

But KAV has it. And AVP engine in KAV is the same as in F-secure.

14. yag

yag Guest

"But KAV has it. "

Hm, I don't think so... at least, I haven't seen any heuristic detection of a backdoor by KAV...

How do you come to believe, that KAV (and therefore F-Secure) have a strong backdoor heuristic? Any test, or something?

15. Arin

Arin Registered Member

F-Secure uses old AVP engine and KAV doesn't have special rules to pickup backdoors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.