F-Prot for DOS with WinXP?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Bummers, I finally made XP main OS. For several reasons (don't ask) I'm having to reinstall everything. PITA!

I have used F-Prot for DOS for ages. I really like it. It scans faster than any other AV I have ever used.

Now that I'm running XP, will F-Prot for DOS still work, or not?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if ur xp is on a fat32 partition it should still work. if its ntfs then im afraid youre SOL.

btw welcome to teh windows xp community. what took so long? :D

3. bellgamin

@WSFuser- It's ntfs. I told my IT I wanted FAT32, but he "forgot to do it" (sic).

Why so long before using XP? Because I was quite satisfied with WinME. It did everything I asked of it. Plus it was very stable, and comfortable as an old shoe.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

IMHO, windows 98 se was/is better and more stable.

anyways, for now u can try bitdefender or any online AV scanners if u want an on-demand scanner.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I believe FAT32 is not available for HDD's 32GB's & more. So if you can find a way that you're comfortable converting NTFS to FAT32. You'd have to create multiple partitions of less than 32GB. Of course backup your data 1st. And 2 programs you might look at are Partition Magic & Acronis Partition Expert.

6. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

It is. Microsoft simply doesn't allow to format it in 2000/XP. Reason is being that the block cluster size gets a huge amount meaning that you waste A LOT of hard drive space by storing lots of small files on a bigger FAT32 Partition. However, you can easily format FAT32 also on bigger drives if you know how.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  7. Inspector Clouseau

Oh yes and bellgamin sorry i forgot to answer your question. F-Prot for dos will be discontinued soon. So i wouldn't put a lot of hope into the DOS Version. It will remain a bit longer but will not be updated from the point of scan technology anymore.

8. bellgamin

Thanks for the heads-up, Inspector Mike. Even though I am now a XP user/hater, I think F-prot should continue to provide at least a friendly nod in the direction of the users of legacy OS (Win9X & WinME). There are still lots of legacy OS users in nations throughout the world. For example, consider THIS item.

F-Prot can remain friendly to those folks by keeping FP-DOS available. Even if you folks don't update the scan technology of FP-DOS, will it cost you too much money/effort to at least keep FP-DOS "on the books" & continue to provide signature updates as in the past?

9. Inspector Clouseau

We've improved recently a lot of new features and that is difficult to handle if you have older versions to update as well. The detection rate will be quite different between the DOS version and the new versions - DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU FEED THE DOS F-PROT VERSION WITH THE NEWEST SIGNATURES. Reason is being the more advanced scan engine in the newer versions. Example: Unpacking - you will detect hell a lot more of viruses (especially with some proper heuristics) than without unpacking / emulating. To sum it up: Your protection is ALWAYS better with the newest version. ( Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to release newer versions, wouldn't it? :D )

10. bellgamin

Not everyone is a retired millionaire living in Iceland & working on security programs as a hobby.:D

If a man can only afford a cheap used car, why tell him that he could go faster with a BMW?:doubt:

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Millionaire? Really? :eek:

But no way he's retired! :)

Anyway, F-Prot will be discontinued for Windows 9x/Me and even Windows NT. This is because the outdated APIs of those OS will only make the program more bloated and unnecessarily complicate the code. Plus, some of the features may not be working on Win 9x, forget about DOS.

12. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I certainly agree with you. As per F-Prot for DOS on NTFS, the open source FREE DOS will allow the F-Prot scanner to work very well with 2000, XP, 2003 and VISTA!

Dave

PS Win 98 SE POWERS THE WORLD AND VERY LIFE ITSELF!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.