F-PROT Dead?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Taliscicero, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Is F-Prot Still being Supported and how is it?

Just wondering.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It isnt dead and actually one of the best AV deals om the market. Its detection continues to rival the best. But I agree, it would be nice to see more from Frisk posted here about its future.

3. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Now using it on all the PC's in the house. Very light and simple to use plus very effective.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I like it enough that I bought the 5-user subscribtion.:thumb:

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

hehe Trjam changed his anti-virus because of me :D

6. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Was it updated recently?
    IIRC, there were many unresolved issues and they seemed extremely slow at adressing them.
    I tried it last year but got a load of false positives, and it was quite slow, IIRC once again.
    I was not impressed, to be honest.

Furthermore, having a free version would draw more attention on their product, IMHO.

7. risl

risl Registered Member

I've always seen F-prot quite similar to Dr.Web but they don't seem to release much product updates or new technology. I remember them releasing the v6 which was a major update, had better heuristics/GUI. Lots of people were using it here but after that, all silent.

8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Customer
    Staff

http://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,1367.0.html

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Sadly, for whatever reason(s) development of FPAV, as regards new features, seems to have grinded to a halt. Just take a look at the rate of new version releases.

If you are looking for a basic AV that should give the average user adequate protection then F-Prot may be a good choice. If you are looking for a program which will have HIPS/firewall modules then look elsewhere. Being a small vendor they simply do not have the manpower or expertise to turn F-Prot into an Avira/Kaspersky/NOD.

Their small size and its associated problems has also been seen with the recent worrying lack of support and communication in their Forum, and the fact that Iceland is virtually bankrupt at the present time cannot help matters.

10. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Running without problems here on Xp and Vista home premium.
    It is very light, scans relatively fast and offers good protection. It is a sort of "set and forget" AV. Ideal for digibetics

They already have a free version: license 5 PCs for $29/€24. ;)

Let them stay focussed on their commercial versions: they seem to have some issues in the personnel department.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, maybe they have great deals but then again you can just as well install avast! on 10 boxes and call it a better deal. F-Prot is not all that great imo.
    Almost no control, basic file system only protection and no spyware protection.
    Thats not all that impressive when free ones offer all that and more for, well free.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i tryed f-prot around 2008-04-23 aka when the lastest release came out.
    the guard crashed alot.
    i kinda like the product but since the guard keep crashing it wasnt a good idea for me to keep using it.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No he changed because it was Wednesday.;) :D

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

What caused the crashes? And what support/advise/solution did you get from F-PROT?

Gerard

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    im not sure what caused the crashes but other people at the same time reported the same problem.
    every so often the icon disapeared from tray so i checked task man and the f-prot process wasnt there.

even opening the interface i couldnt get the guard to start. it didnt report an error it just didnt start.

im not sure if i contacted support ot not.
    I dont think I did mainly because if other people are experiencing it as well it should be fixed soon. I tryed like 4 months later and same problem.
    i havent tryed it since that because they are still producing the same version.

btw i used the 64bit version on my 64bit vista.

16. NobleT

NobleT Registered Member

i think it is still supported by offical ~~and still released a new version in the future.i recognize it by its powerful heuristic engine~~:)

17. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

For the paid program it has poor spyware/adware detection rate. I never understand why would I pay for it when there are better free programs. IMHO, there is no great future for F-Prot.

18. GES/POR

Name one antivirus that is great in dealing with the latest spyware?

19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Avira does a decent job, maybe not as good as a pure AS app, but decent.

20. GES/POR

Exactely my point, it isnt great either at it - will detect most spyware n not remove it n as far as most others go they wont even detect it so about fprot having not such a bright future cus its no worse then others at the spyware dep. is BS

on the other hand fprot has alot of pros but its certainly not perfect

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i will say that is tru, nothing is perfect, some just excel at certain things more than others, and vice-versa.

22. egghead

I presume you are referring to test$. You will have noticed that in these test$ even "big" vendors score relatively low in the spyware/adware detection department.

F prot state clearly on their site that they are an AV and advice to use a
    spyware/adware program in combi with F prot.

23. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

One more thing needs to be considered when we are talking about F-Prot. F-Prot is known by numerous false positives. So, if you are average user you will be in trouble very soon upon installation of F-Prot. In the other hand, if you do not care because of false positives and feel you can handle it only to use program which is light and has great heuristic there is much better option than F-Prot.

At the end, as much as I think I do not see even one good reason to buy F-Prot.

24. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I'm running it at present & the only issue is lack of updates, I'm still on definitions from the 26th & they say that is the most recent, I don't feel like that's quite right, I'll leave it on today & hope there is an update & I feel protected but I run a layered approach with Online Armour & SAS...but they need to get more updates out there, I do like the program tho jus a straight forward AV...

25. egghead

No more then other AV's I have used/trialed.
    You can report the false positives or you can have F prot skip them during scan.

Based on what ?

Did you realy used this program or are you quoting test$ ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.