F-Prot 6 or Antivir premium?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Lordman, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordman

Lordman Registered Member

I am F-Prot registered user and i like f-prot because is fast, needs less hard, very compatible with other software running and because with home user license i can install it on 5 computers.

I have been testing Antivir and i seems to gives me the same things that F-Prot and it seems to be better antivirus.

What do yo think?. Renew with F-Prot or start with Antivir.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Toss a coin!

If you like F-Prot and it seems to like your system then stay with it, particularly if you have several machines at Home. Detection rates are improving fast and no contest between the two vendors for official support; IME, Frisk support is excellent.

On the other hand, AntiVir would probably give you better all round protection, particularly on high risk sites and you can then use the free version on your other computers. But don't forget that if you need official Premium support then this will be an additional cost on top of the initial license fee.

3. Lordman

I understand that you think that if i dont have a high risk site its better that i renew other year with f-prot?.

Really, i was been using only f-prot as antivirus from 1993, but in the last years i have been thinking that f-prot is not a good choice yet.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

As far as i understand the new version should be out within a couple of months, so if you have used it with no infections etc...why not stay with them and see what they will bring of new things in the new version?

5. Lordman

Yes, its good point. :)

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Its a no-brainer. Not only does antivir have much better detection it also has adware/spyware protection as a bonus. In the umbrella we trust :)

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No contest, maybe next year.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well he is already an f-prot registered user and ppl talk of f-prot making good improvements, id renew with them as you should get a discounted price, so i see no reason for him to change.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just to clarify, as I recall, due to the low initial price, F-Prot for Windows does not provide for a discounted renewal. However, $30 for up to 5 PC's in a home setting is about as good as it gets for a paid solution.

Since there's no renewal cost penalty for being late on a renewal, my own suggestion would be to take Antivir for a trial run and compare it to the current beta of F-Prot since that is ultimately what you would be going to.

Both are very decent solutions. I have run the F-Prot beta and it is a nice straightforward package. Antivir currently has better detection characteristics, both have top technical staffs (so F-Prot should inprove, while Antivir should maintain), F-Prot's paid licencing is the best I've seen while Antivir appears to have a nice free solution (I've not tried either paid or free from Antivir - just going on comments here and elsewhere).

Blue

10. Lordman

"Since there's no renewal cost penalty for being late on a renewal, my own suggestion would be to take Antivir for a trial run and compare it to the current beta of F-Prot since that is ultimately what you would be going to."

I have already installed Antivir and it is a good antivirus, as compatible with other process, as fast, as cheaper... as f-prot. But if i has done this question is because i dont know if both are basicaly as good antivirus choice or Antivir is significatly better antivirus.

11. Lordman

I have problems to speak english. Anybody here speak spanish? If somebody speak spanish send me a private message.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

As for detection rates there is no comparison. Avira is far superior. However, if you like F-Prot I would keep it. I would feel more secure with Avira, and if it ran well on my computer I would use it myself. I like it second to KAV6.

Best,
    Jerry

13. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Both are pleasant products as well as the experts Inspector Closeau (F-Prot) and Stefan (Antivir). Why not buy 2 licences? ;) They are both very active here and sure to add signatures/heuristic update quite regularly.

14. Lordman

Yes, Inspector Closeau, sometimes he writes here. Its will be good that he read this post and he writes something. :) I dont have money problems but two licenses will be thinking abaut what resident monitor will i use ... and ... i will be testing infinetely both products because i have two licenses and i will can use sometine ono and sometime other. :-D

15. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Does F-Prot have an e-mail scanner?
    For some folks that factors into their decision.;)

It's been quite a while since I trialed F-Prot.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Both Avira and F-prot are good but I would choose F-prot .
    I fancy F-prot and I have used it from 1999 to 2004. The product is trouble free and their support is also very good , the detection is ok. Although I was high-risk surfer/user I never got infected with F-prot .You can add any other application to back it up ;)

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's interesting...
    The Real Time Protector scans e-mail attachments.That sounds like the same way that AntiVir PE Classic handles e-mails.

One thing about F-Prot that I do remember from the trial experience was the support.Some of the best that I have encountered.

It's a matter of personal preference.Choose what you like better.
    Or....
    Get F-Prot and use AntiVir PE Classic as an on-demand,backup scanner.;)

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think he should stick to what he knows, especially with f-prot being the 'antivirus to look out for', i suggest he keeps f-prot and maybe use dr.web 'Cure it' as on demand. :D

http://www.freedrweb.com/

20. Lordman

Yes, te support is very good. Every time that i send an emal asking fot something or with some problem i have received the answer in abaut 24H and on somecase the answer was very correct.

Yes it is, the support is very good and i was been very happy with it.

21. jodu

jodu Registered Member

Hi, Tester.
    Version 6.0 will have a email scanner and a http scanner, in the beginning just for Outlook/Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.
    Version 6.0 is still in beta state, but is already very very stable.
    It has a very nice and clean interface, and is very simple to use.

Jodu.

22. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I used F-Prot from 1999 until about 5 months ago, it served me well, protected me on more than one occasion, it's well supported and compatible with most other security softwares. Try the new beta version, if you like it, I'd stay with F-Prot, it's a time tested antivirus.

23. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Tried F-Prot beta just yesterday, but I can't get used to this new thing. It slowed my PC down to a crawl and openening websites was terrible.......had that a few months back already. Uninstalled again and put Nod32 back on and everything flies......
    I am having a lot of trouble with some 'great' programs, so it must me my pc that's going towards a very quick retirement.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is hard for me to say, as Avira is definetly the now product, but I like the Inspector and have all the faith that over the course of 2007, he will help to make F-Prot, the Antivir of 2006.

25. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

There was today an internal email pointing to this thread. The support Team was quite happy about the nice comments made here. They do indeed a great job and they were proud that you guys noticed that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.